Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2009 Saab 97x 5.3l trouble code 0304. This is what I have…

2009 Saab 97x 5.3l trouble...
2009 Saab 97x 5.3l trouble code 0304.This is what I have already done:
* Switched Coil Pack, Did not follow
* Switched Spark Plug Wires Did not follow
* Checked Spark, Consistent firing
* Checked Compression , Less than 30 psi
* Removed Valve Cover, Rocker Arm loose , Lifter appears to be colasped
* Sprayed B12 down push rod and Engine Flush, No improvement in lifter tickWhat to do next?
3/17/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Ok

If it's got a collapsed lifter you are going to have to take the intake and heads off to get to it. This is a lot of work and you need to get a manual. It's even more then I can post here for you. Getting down in the engine so you can get the lifter rails out is deep. I haven't done it, but I can tell by the manual it's got to at least remove the intake and the head on the side you have the issue with, of course you might as well do both head gaskets if you are going in this deep. It is also possible the issue is a worn cam lobe in which case the timing chain and gears should come out and be inspected.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

I have already prepared the right side for had removal. How can I be sure it's a collasped lifter? Any other way to free it up?

If you can get a screwdriver down there, sometimes a little kerosene right in the lifter, then trying to work the spring will bring it back to life. It's a gamble and I can't be sure it will work. Usually it's varnish that stops them up or the oil hole plugs up. They are very small holes to keep the pressure in them.

Sorry about the call, I just can't do them.

Ok I'll try that. Lastly, what else should I have done if I end up taking both heads off?
How do I not get charged for the call?

I would take just look the cylinders over really well, but head gaskets and things should really be all you need. I would also look at all the lifters as long as you are in there.

As for the call, don't answer from JA, it is open to the other experts, but as long as you don't answer you won't be charged.

I do still need to be rated however if you don't mind.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
eric remington
Phone call session started

SLIGHT CHANCE OF BAD CAMSHAFT AS WELL AS LIFTER...CK OIL PRESSURE B4 YOU PROCEED

THATS WHY I CAN DO CALLS