Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I'm bufuzzeled. The problem began with no heat. I spotted a…

I'm bufuzzeled. The problem...

I'm bufuzzeled. The problem began with no heat. I spotted a crack in the top of the radiator, so I installed a new one. I put a new thermostat in and replaced the old squeeling water pump. Yet it still wont produce heat and the electric fans have yet to come on.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?

The thermostat is brand new. besides the old one was wedged open, as if it wasnt there at all

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2004 sentra 1.8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sentra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

New rad..., new water pump, new thermostat new antifreeze

3/17/2018
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, did you flush the heater core? Are both heater core hoses at the firewall getting hot?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did not flush system. No the hoses are not hot leading to the core.

Thanks for the additional info, give me just a few to look over and see if this model has a water control valve.

I appreciate your patience, there should be a water control valve on this model. Follow your heater hoses and let me know if you find it.

Water should go out of that housing to the heater core, with that issue and the fans no coming on you may have air in the system If you look at the picture below you'll see an air relief plug. Crack that open some and allow the car to run until some coolant begins to come out then close it. That will eliminate any air locks in the system. That should solve these issues, let me know how things go.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Cool the heat works, I didn't know about that air screw thanks I'll leave you some feedback. Any ideas of why the fan still don't come on?

It may not cut on until the temp gets into the 220+ area. OTherwise it may be the temperature sensor for the computer. Let it idle and let me know if it heats up and turns on eventually.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician