Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Why dosent my cars want to start?

Why dosent my cars want to start?
3/17/2018
Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1

greetings,

what make , model and engine do you have? how many miles? did you check the battery voltage? do you have any tools, are you handy?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hehe, lets get down to it shall we.Two cars, Mercedes benz C180 2000 model 1,8 cc, and Mitsubishi colt CJ0 2003 model 1,6 cc.Im working on the colt, and one day i drove to a friends house, picked ut a few things, and was backing out of the parking, men it slowly died out.Later i went trough the fuses, the gasoline wet spark plugs (I checked if these were firing on ground, and they did), and i took out the gas pump and check it with a separate 12v battery, and it worked. I also loosened one end of the fuel filter to let det fuel leak out and let the air out if there were any. ---- Thats where I'm at with the COLT. (BTW i emptied the old gas and replaced it, if it was contaminated you know, but the car didn't respond to that either. But why i did that will be explained in the next lines).The mercedes issue came when i was emptying the COLT fuel tank and poured some over to the mercedes because it was low on gas and why not. Started it soon after, and it had the exact same symptoms as the COLT when it died.BOTH cars are shaking quite a bit, so they are close to running, but something it stopping them.... Please help :)
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Additional info on the COLT;The week before, i had run out of fuel two times because the fuel meter was not totally correct.
- the spark plugs was firingOn the Mercedes;
It has been standing still for quite some time. But I've started it evenly, so it was strange that it died right after i filled it with the colts gasoline..

did you try to add fuel stabilizer or a fuel additive? if we have spark and the plugs were wet I would suspect bad fuel. 2 cars not starting and you used the same gas points to bad fuel. You might still have bad fuel in the lines, fuel rails.

The cylinders might need help to dry out. I would take a sample from the fuel rails to be sure. if it does not smell strong the gas is bad.

mechanical issue with 2 cars at the same time would be rare.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had regular 95 octane and no additives .. Even though it sounds like it. But with the colt, i didn't get new gas and did run it quite a bit. Shouldn't the new gas have reached the engine ?

sometimes spark plugs can get washed out and very hard to dry and fire right.

You might be getting fuel to the injectors but the spark might not be hot enough. You could do a compression test just to be sure the cylinders did not get washed.

always good to check basics like compression, fuel pressure, spark plug output.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
hmmm, I understand what you mean. So step 1, get a compression test. Any other things i can do? I'm pretty stuck at this point.

lets start here, keep me posted.

if possible remove the plugs and send me a picture

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How do i check the spark plug output, and i can't find that handy fuel rail plug that you can hook up a compression device to. its only rails Fuelpump - Fuel filter - engine .. nothing in-betweenThe spark plugs looked almost new though. But i could still send a picture.How to i dry out the cylinders?

to get fuel pressure sometimes you need to use an adapter where the fuel line attaches to the fuel rail if there is no access port. Most cars today need 35-65PSI

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay then, you've given me a bit to work with, i will try to get a compression test device on Monday.But again, should i just leave the plugs off for the weekend to dry them off? I found cheap spark plugs so i can get new once, even though they did fire. And i did run them on the started for quite some time too so the firing should be hot enough to start dont you think?Drying the cylinders, compression test and new spark plugs on Monday. Any other tasks you want to give me? ;) Im pretty sure that the fuel pressure is good, since when we loosened the rail on the fuel filter, it pretty much went full on spray 360 degrees.
.

ok, lets say fuel pressure is good. lets make sure the plugs are dry and make sure we have good compression.

with fuel injected vehicles the fuel systems purge the air out automatically.

Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1
Ironmike
Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1