Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My key will not go into the ignition completely and the

Customer Question
My key will not...

My key will not go into the ignition completely and the steering is locked

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?

No it has never happened and its a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali with 12000km

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?

No just troubleshooting at the moment, turning the wheel in the direction that it will turn pumping the brakes that sort of thing]

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

It was working fine and as i was outside playing with my young son I believe he may have pressed something and locked it for security reasons, just a thought

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Car
Any update
3/18/2018
Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

If the key cannot be physically inserted fully then there is either an issue with the key, the lock cylinder, or possibly something foreign in the lock cylinder blocking the key from entering.

The first thing you'll want to do is make sure there is nothing foreign in the lock cylinder as far as you can tell.

Inspect the key for damage and have it replaced if any damage is found. Even if there is no visible problem I would recommend trying the other key.

If multiple keys don't work and there is nothing visible blocking the key from entering then the lock cylinder is going to need to be replaced. If you're still under basic warranty by time then the repair would be covered.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.