Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2013 sl 550 with weak battery from storage. I see red cap…

Customer Question
2013 sl 550 with...

2013 sl 550 with weak battery from storage. I see red cap under hood passengers side. Is this where I connect the charger?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the battery? And have you tested it with a voltmeter?

I don't know age - i bought car last summer. I did not check volts. It starts to crank motor, but not enough.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 550 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I think If i put charge on it will do. I just want to be sure i use the right connection. The red cap sort of screws down and exposes a metal "post". I assume I can connect positive clamp to that and charge

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I think that should do it.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/17/2018
Auto Mechanic: Chris, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Yes. Connect the red clamp of the battery charger to that post/stud under the red cap, and the black clamp of the charger to a metal area of the engine (bracket, bolt, etc.). Then plug the charger into an AC outlet. Set the charger to about 10 amps and leave it for at least an hour before trying to start the vehicle. Then you should be okay.

Chris

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

Hello, just checking back to see if you received my answer.

Chris