Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My Air Conditioning system quits cooling a few weeks after I…

My Air Conditioning system...

My Air Conditioning system quits cooling a few weeks after I get part of it repaired at great cost each time. Do I need to get a totally new Air Conditioning system or a totally new car instead of going through costly repairs?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked for a leak in the radiator?

I don't know much about cars, so I think checking the coolant level is what the auto mechanic probably has done each time. About a leak in the radiator, I didn't know that would affect an air conditioner, so I'm assuming any good mechanic would know to check that as well, if you say it's important.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?

Sonata 2003

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sonata yourself? What have you tried so far?

I take it to a popular foreign auto shop near where I live, and one I have trusted so far for about 10 years.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I don't know, but I can't think of anything else right now.

3/17/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Let me get this straight... You have a component of the a/c repaid. The air is cold. After sometime(days, weeks, etc.), the vehicle starts blowing hot air. You take it to the mechanic and shortly after you are leaving blowing cold air again until the next time period passes, am I correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
usually it's cold for several weeks, then warmer and warmer.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still there. I can't fix the car myself, so I just need advice on whether my air conditioner is repairable or replaceable, or if the whole car needs to be replaced.

I understand completely. What's going on is that when the component was replaced, the system wasn't sealed properly and you are losing refrigerant. After the time period, your refrigerant level is so low that the car can't blow cold air anymore.

I'm here. Just a moment, please,.

When you take it in, they just recharge the system. In order to cure this issue, the leak has to be fixed. I am guessing the leak is at the connection of the component that was replaced.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't whether or not the system was sealed properly. I can't just assume it wasn't sealed. Maybe the whole air conditioner is defective, or maybe lots of expensive parts of it are defective. Maybe it has nothing to do with being sealed.

If the system was defective, you would blow hot all of the time. Do you know what the mechanic does to get you blowing cold each time?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They have recharged the system and replaced the coolant. After that they replace a hose, and next time replace a pressure hose. Still not working for very long.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
far, the three repairs have cost me $1000 to $1200, and still not working.

I understand. This continues to happen because they can't located the leak. That's why they are replacing hoses. What you need to due, is the next time the vehicle starts blowing hot air, have them inject dye into the system when they recharge it.

This will help them easily locate the leak.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, I'll ask them to inject dye when they recharge it. I think they did inject dye one of those times. Is dye an expensive procedure?

Not at all. This is just added to the refrigerant. The auto part store actually sells refrigerant with dye already in it for issues like this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much would it cost to replace the whole air conditioner in the 2003 Sonata?

4 or 6 cylinder?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't know how many cylinders. Could you give me the cost for both?

Here is part and labor information. The labor pricing is listed in hours and is determined by the hourly rate of the shop. The part pricing is from the manufacturer and can be found at the local auto part store at a lower cost.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks very much for you research and info. I'll save it and think about it. We only have a car dealership in our area which specializes in Hyundai repairs, but some of their customers haven't been satisfied, so I'm not sure I want to do repairs again and again. But how reliable are Hyundai specialists when it comes to replacing the whole air conditioning system? Do you know how difficult such a job is, and how successful when completed, on the average?

They are very reliable are far as doing the job correctly, although, they are the most expensive.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much. I think you are correct about the dealership mechanic reliability and pricing. Good Bye for now!

Good night.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician