Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Can't seem to remove the dashboard in my 2008 hyundai

Can't seem to remove...

Can't seem to remove the dashboard in my 2008 hyundai sonata. I've remove all screws that I can see are there hidden screws in the top blow area? I'm trying to replace my heater core and I'm stuck at removing the dash

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to go over that information regarding your Hyundai Sonata. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

Maybe, I'm sure I'll have more questions if I get the dashboard off. Will I have to pay again to ask additional questions because that would not please me.

3/17/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you, Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you.

what size engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
V6

thank you please standby

Im going to open this up to the others, information on removing the dash isnt available in my manuals.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Give me just a moment, please, in order to retrieve your information.

Here, is the replacement information for the dashboard. Take a look at this information and keep me posted.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I looked at both links. I am past the part of the first link and according to the second link, I've already removed those screws and bolts. It feels as though the dash is stuck from top area which would only be at the defrost blowers and according to the image in the link, That wouldn't hold the dashboard from coming out. Do you have to lift and slide it out? Both me and my husband were trying to remove it and it is not budging.

Yes, you will definitely need to lift and pull. Is any parts of it free?

Sometimes these panels have adhesive on the edges the will make them difficult to remove.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did notice the adhesive. But it appears come out as a unit to the crash pad plastic frame just like in the diagram you sent me. Is it important to remove The side airbags portion around the windshield or the weather striping to remove the dashboard? Because we didn't do that and didnt figure it was necessary.

It is not necessary to remove the passenger air bag, but I believe there is a bolt in that area, that is holding the dash in.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we released the adhesive from the side panels it was attached to. Maybe we just need to use more pull? It does help to know that I'm not missing any screws in the defrost area because I tried prying that section and cracked it a bit before stopping and seeking the help.

I understand. Double check and be sure that you have all the screw, first, and make sure that you did not overlook any. Once this is verified, then you can put a little more muscle into it.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that bolt from the passenger airbag was removed. I got to it from underneath when I realized the dashboard had adhesive. It did look like the airbag box stayed attached to the dash with that unit. But I removed the bolt attaching it to the frame from behind that area. I was thinking we missed something from each side airbag panel around the windshield or the defroster area. That's all I could come up with.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay I will give it one more going over in the morning when it's daylight and a good night's sleep and try pulling with more muscle. If it's not working, I may be back here again. I appreciate your help and sorry for the delayed response earlier we had a bit of an emergency that kept me from replying earlier. And, since I'm trying to get to that darn heater core that's tucked in behind that dash, I may still need assistance. I may have bitten off more than I can chew taking on this project when I'm not even a mechanic myself...just my father's daughter. The diy-er

I understand If you need me, I will be here. I believe that you just need more muscle. Keep me posted. Also, please, do not forget to rate the service. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, will do.

Thank you. Have a great night.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician