Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

After an oil change at midas i had an oil leak and the car…

after an oil change at...
after an oil change at midas i had an oil leak and the car stalled and died a few weeks after the oil changethe car was towed to a BMW and he noticed that the O ring was NOT replaced and the 3.5 l was left in the enginewould this fry the engine? trhe timing jump and the plastic hines? were damaged but he didnt look at the engine yet as he said he needs to fix the timing and then look at the enginedoes all this seem feasible?
if the o ring was NOT replaced at the time of the OIL change the place would be liablle for defective work?
3/16/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Yes, this is feasible. The difficult part is proving it happened. But from the sounds of it, the lack of the O ring allowed the engine oil to leak out which would kill the engine if you didn't suspect there was a problem. The connecting rod bearings would or could go bad which could also cause the timing chain issue. The tensioners use oil pressure to keep the chain tight, so if the car lost the oil, then the chains would be loose and could have play in them.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

thank uI know 3.5 l is too low in the engine but would this cause the engine to have to be replaced?
there were NO oil leaks before thisif the oil leak did occur before the oil change I would think they would tell methe O ring if NOT replace would show it was NOT a new one and if it was hard this would be proof of the oil leak?
is it treue they ahve to fix the timing first to see if the engine is no good?
any advice what to do Midas did the oil change i usually have the dealer do it

Well, I would have to agree that they would have to repair the timing first to know what's going on with the rest of the engine. OR they have to tare it down and inspect all the bearings in the engine.

If the oil ring is hard, then it would show proof it wasn't replaced. If there was oil all around the filter housing, that would have to be the proof that the leak was there. Normally the oil ring is not hard.

I think I would attempt to talk to their regional manager and the store manager where the oil change was done. Have the receipt and the mileage all documented. Even proof of what the dealer has determined as the cause of the issue.

You may end up having to go to court, or possibly they will pay the bill or a large portion of it.

Please note, I do not represent MIDAS in any capacity, just have some experience of what happens when things go wrong.

The regional manager called me after I talked to the store and they wanted the car towed back to Midas.
but if the O ring WAS NOT replaced this would eb obvious that it wasnt replaced at the time of the oil change as a new filter was installedcan I take pictures on the O ring for proof?would ,oil on the filter be a sign the o ring caused the issue?
they should have changed the O ring?

Yes, this should have gotten a new O ring, anytime the oil change and filter is done.

You can take photos, especially if it is cracked that could be proof.

Can I get the year and model as well as engine size of your car?

2013 bmw x3 28 i

I would say that oil on the filter canister could indicate the leak was there. Especially if there was a lot of oil also in the vicinity of the filter. Pooled up someplace or even if it looked like it ran out and down the underside of the car.

Midas wants it towed there so they can repair the engine and see what's going on most likely.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

does midas repair engines?i would think that this midas shop has done this before because they immediately said we will pay for the tow.NOT replacing the O ring regardless would be neglect by a mechanic right? would nt every mechanic know this?the guy who looked at the car the bmw guy could tell and show pictures about the cansiter right if they try to balme it on something else??
would 3.5 liter of oil left in the engine be enough not to cause an engine replacement?

If it was down 3.5l then it only had about 1.3l left in it. This would likely damage the engine in my opinion.

It is neglect on the tech for not changing the O ring. The new filter usually comes with a new O ring.

That would be entirely up to the person who looked at the car. If he is willing to go to bat for you, then yes he could possibly show them what he found.

he is going to bat for me as he thought this may be the case to begin with and already has talked to Midas I am just wondering if midas will take resposibility for this.
if the O ring must be replaced it is easily seen that it wasnt i would imagine that in itself is negilence?
wouldnt the sensor shit off the car before the engine was damaged?

The sensor isn't foolproof. It should shut it down but they don't always work.

As for the question of negligence, if the new filter didn't come with a new O ring, then the tech wouldn't think to replace it. If it did and he didn't replace it, then he is negligent.

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
How long does it take for an o ring. To become hard as a rock to a point where it fails and causes an oil leak ?

Sorry I didn't see this Sunday. I don't work on Sunday.

As for your question, I can't give you an honest answer because I don't really know. I think there would be a few factors involved in the quality of the O ring itself. I am sorry I just don't know to be honest.

Thank you for the rating.