Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I just replace the left fron window limiter for my w208 -

I just replace the...

I just replace the left fron window limiter for my w208 - window goes down an up ok but I can seem to set the upper limit - it goes up to the top and then back down a couple of inches almost immediately

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

2002 clk 430 cabriolet

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 430 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well I replaced the left from limiter this morning

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope - I dont seem to hear the "click" from the regulator when I hold it at the top position.

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

It is not making any noise

3/16/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Try setting the bot***** *****mit, push and hold the window switch in the down position all the way to the bottom and hold it a few seconds more, them pull the switch up and hold it in the up position like you were originally trying to do.Alternate between doing it at the bottom and again at the top and it should eventually set.If I have answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept next to my name as that is the only way the site compensates me for my time.If you have further follow up questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask follow up questions even after accepting my answer.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi - Done that numerous times - am suspecting a wiring fault to the controller on connector 3 - owuld you happen to have a wiring diagram for that?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The controller will not set the top limit.(no matter how many times I perform the suggested reset/program procedure - that's why I reached out to you. Am suspecting a wiring issue to the controller ( block 3) - would you have wiring diagram I can work with? Everything else is working with this controller but this.
Did you try the bottom setpoint? I think the one time I had this happen, what I did is I hit the switch up and then you pull up on the switch again as it's going up to stop it and then I disconnected the motor electrical connector and reconnected it and then it worked.It's not a wiring issue the way that this works is that the window rolls up or down with the switch the control module controls that, the way that it knows the set point for the top is when the motor reaches the top it causes the window to hit its mechanical limit and then the motor tries to work harder to move the window which causes an increase in amperage and that causes more of a voltage drop, so less voltage makes it back to the control module. When the control module sees instead of getting say .05 volts back to it, it is getting .01 volts back to it, it recognizes that the window is at its limit and sets the set point. So if anything it would be a faulty comfort module.I don't however, believe that is the problem I have had this issue before and I was able to get it to function.I understand that the controller would not set the top limit as you were initially trying to do it but have you tried to set the bot***** *****mit first like I asked? You didn't mention whether or not you tried that.Also you can use the key in the door on German cars roll the windows up and down, maybe try putting the key in the door and holding it in the lock position to move the windows up, when you use the key in the door at least on Volkswagen and Audi deactivates pinch protection (which is why the window rolls back down like that).Also maybe the window isn't aligned properly in the channel. When I install the window I leave the clamps loose and roll the window up with the switch almost all the way to the top and then I put my hand on top of the window and roll the window down and I push down on the window and that self centers it better, then I tighten the clamps.Are you able to actually hold the switch and get it to go all the way to the top and stay there? Or is it roll back down even if you keep your finger on the switch up position?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did try to set the bot***** *****mit ( and was rewarded with a light click from the controller - which I believe mans it is set. When I raise the window to its upper limit and keep the switch depressed - it goes to the upper limit, but then after about 2 seconds will retreat back down a couple of inches - even though I am holding the switch down.I'm pretty sure the windows is centered - it has a track in the front that it is centered in - and a glide track assembly at the rear. The window doesn't seem to working hard going up ( or down). It just wont stay right up to the top.I've tried the key thing - both electronically and with the manual key in the lock. Neither function ( but I don't believe they ever did).
Ok so given the new info, since it takes 2 seconds to roll back down at the top, roll the window all the way up, hold the button for a short time, basically just long enough before it rolls back down. Then, roll the window all the way down holding the switch and keep holding the switch to set the bottom point and THEN try rolling it back to the top holding the button and try to set it.I think that the motor knows how many revolutions it takes to reach the top, so I'm not sure if you were rolling to the top and then trying to set the top point, it would roll down and THEN trying the bottom, but you need to do the process without it doing the pinch protection and get the window to do it's full travel. If you didn't center the window as I described it probably isn't, I've changed out 100 windows on German cars and I center it the way I do because if you don't do it like that, it ends up slightly off track. I believe it's a real possibility that it isn't centered and it is causing a higher amerage drawnthan normal.Try what I described for the setpoint though, it appears you are getting it to set at the bottom. Set the bottom, roll it to the top and hold the switch for a second or so but doesn't activate pinch protection, roll it all the way down and hold the switch again, and THEN roll it to the top and hold the switch for 5 seconds or so and see if it works.Try that a few times, I KNOW it will work because I had this issue on the last window I did, and I did a process of this repeatedly and was eventually able to get it set.You may even want to roll the window all the way down, disconnect the battery and reconnect it, then try again because that should set the low point and allow it to calculate where the top is.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK - ( The window WAS centered - although I reset it using your advice - unfortunately - the way Mercedes works the window mechanism - there is little room for adjustment - so it didn't help).
The problem was that when you remove the door panel - you have to remove the cover on the lock latch ( which would appear to be just a cosmetic thing) - that cover sticks out about 1/8 of an in towards the interior. Without it - although the door was closed and would lock - the door closed button wasn't fully depressed. I got tired of opening and shutting the door to check the track and the test the window - so I manually pressed the button all the way in and voilla - everything started working the way it should. (another poor design by Mercedes - cost me Hours of time ( and it's no where in any R&R procedure I read for the limiter - and I read quite a few - they all just said "shut the door" - what a waste of time and effort..Anyway - all is working now. Thanks for your time
Either way we got it fixed glad I could get you helped!
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician