Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Scion iq 2012 changing the belts. The no 1 engine cover is…

Customer Question
Scion iq 2012 changing...

Scion iq 2012 changing the belts

Mechanic's Assistant: Okay, I'll connect you to the mechanic to discuss this further with you. Before I do, is there anything else you want him to know?

The no 1 engine cover nut is stripped way before i got it

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Car
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
the 2012 scion has plastic engine covers, and cooling covers. i got the number one cooling cover off, the number 3 engine cover and working on the number 1 engine cover.
it’s the nut on top of the number 1 engine cover that is frozen and stripped before i got the car.
need to change the accessory belt. i can do the one belt for the ac as i can access that. just can’t get the nut on the upper cover. trying to gain access without destroying this cover but i swear i will cut it off lol
3/16/2018
Auto Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

If you have enough room I would use a nut cracking tool like THIS to break the nut and then rethread it. You could also use a dremel with cut off blade to split the nut. Below is the belt change info just in case you may need it.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sir the iq has zero room for that, i have irwin bolt grips and they can’t get purchase i have to go thru the wheel well. was hoping for a scion or toyota guy, sorry but no help

I will open this back up to other experts for you. Someone should be with you shortly.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician