Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Is is a brand new Q50 Sport that is wandering a bit at

Hi Pearl, is is...

Hi Pearl, is is a brand new Q50 Sport that is wandering a bit at highway speeds

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Q50?

2018

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Q50 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, dealer. They swapped front wheels and checked alignment to be ok

Mechanic's Assistant: Besides this, what condition is the car in?

Brand new, perfect

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that's it. How much the consultation costs?

Mechanic's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Infiniti Mechanic's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Well, I expect a quick fix :)

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The car has conventional rack-and-pinion steering
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Another description of the behavior on a highway. I have to constantly work on steering wheel but just a little bit to keep the car in the middle of the lane. Little correction of steering wheel will move the car to one side of the lane, then after correcting that the car will move to another side of the lane, and so on so forth. Endless process to find a sweet spot to keep it straight in the middle so the car is "wandering"
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician

Well, being brand new, I wouldn't expect any loose steering parts, but did they give you the alignment specs?

Also, if you are on flat road, is the steering wheel perfectly on center?

So the dealer has told there is no problem, correct?

I would like to have the alignment specs, otherwise, I won't be able to help much.

I don't really accept "the alignment is good" from any shops anymore.

Has the dealer started a technical assistance case yet with Infiniti?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
1) No, they have not given me any alignment readings but I will ask them on Monday and be back with you.
2) Yes, while on flat road the steering wheel is perfectly on center. The feel is that the steering is over-responsive so you can't find a straight line without small corrections of steering wheel to either side at highway speeds.
3)The dealer swapped the front tires and checked alignment and told me to give it a try.. Since the problem persists, their Service Director wanted to drive the car on Monday
4) No, they have not started a technical assistance case with Infiniti yet.

OK. Let the Director drive it. That makes sense. Alignment numbers would be helpful.

If the alignment is good, it is a case for Tech assistance. They may suggest different tires, or, there may be a programming update.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I will be back with you on Monday

Sounds good. Thank you for using Just Answer. Canuck

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P.S. just FYI, the car does NOT have DAS, just regular power steering. "See" you Monday. Alex

"See" you Monday!

I've had some thoughts on this situation.

I would recommend you drive another brand new one of these vehicles. If it exhibits the same twitchiness as your Q50, then I think it is the way the vehicle is designed and tuned (meaning driving feel and feedback), and there won't be anything the dealer can do to correct it.

I predict the Service Director will take your Q for a drive, and say there is nothing wrong.

So it all depends upon how much energy you want to put into this - if the other Q50 you drive behaves differently, then there is hope. Otherwise, it is a design oversight, and no amount of protest on your part will have any effect until the engineering team comes up with a fix.

If they all drive the same, I would be asking for my cash back, or would look at a different model.

I say these things only because I've been around the car business a long time (perhaps too long) and I've seen customers' frustration levels rise because of engineering issues that can't be fixed at the dealership level.

For what it is worth, adding a little positive caster on the alignment adds stability, but on most modern vehicles, changing caster is not easily obtainable.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, I’ve driven their demo car and also the salesman’s cat (both same model/year and tires) and there was no wandering on those. Also, a tech took test drive with me on my car and noticed that car was pulling to both sides on a highway

So you have verification, and hope for a repair. Both of these situations are good!

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agree with you that lack of positive caster in combination with Dunlop 19’ RFT may be a reason for a bit twitchy steering. But let’s see what their boss has to say on Monday. I not a car guru, gust an engineer. I will let you know. Have a good one
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, let me get back with you on Monday after I get dealer’s assessment and hopefully provide you with alignment readings as discussed. Thanks

Sounds good!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well, I am still on loaner since Monday morning. They are still figuring out what’s going on with this car and will continue tomorrow. I will let you know as soon as I get my car back....or a new one. Alex

Thanks. Todd

Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician