Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

1998 Chevy c1500, 5.7. My trans is acting a bit peculiar. It…

1998 Chevy c1500, 5.7. My...
1998 Chevy c1500, 5.7. My trans is acting a bit peculiar. It seems to start off in 2nd gear and won't shift into od. It stays in 3rd gear. The fluid has no bad odor and the color is good. I am thinking about the shift solenoids. What do you think?? Please advise.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Here’s the sequence of events I follow:
Check fluid level and color. Make appropriate repairs.
Check shift solenoids with a scan tool in bidirectional mode if
applicable. Shift solenoids are inside the transmission and
this is the easiest way to check them.
Drop pan and inspect for excessive metal shavings inside
pan. Check valve body and clutches visually.
Hopefully you may not have to go this far, maybe you just
were a bit low on fluid.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for responding. I am not a novice and am mechanically skilled. You didn't respond to any of my info I sent. Fluid color is good, fluid has no poor odor, fluid level is ok, starts off in what seems to be 2nd gear and stays there. Won't shift to od. I drive it every day. The trans does not slip at all. Are there fuses that control the solenoids. Any thoughts? I do not have a trans scan tool. I suppose I am asking you to draw on your experiences and make comments. Please advise. Thank you.

I read all of that, what I sent you was a typical diagnosis sheet for an issue like that.

The scan of the system and testing of the shift solenoids is your next move. If they test good, then it's time to drop the pan and begin the inspection.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep this link in case you need any more help. I don't get credit for helping you unless you rate me. I'm also still here for you after the rating for any followup questions you may have:)

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor