Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I appear to have a trany fluid leak from the back of the…

Customer Question
Good morning. I appear...

Good morning. I appear to have a trany fluid leak from the back of the torque converter on my 1991 gmc light truck. Not sure the model as it has been converted for other use.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you actually see the leak? And is the fluid itself bright red, or is it dirty?

Its somewhere along the torque con rear lip and the pan. I just replaced the trany filter and pan gasket hoping that was the problem. All new fluid

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '91 GMC?

Not sure. 4.3lt rear wheel drive. Carb

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. Just the trany filter and pan gasket and flush.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Dont think so. Thank you

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/16/2018
Auto Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech replied 4 months ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

This sort of leak is usually due to a failed torque converter seal/front pump seal leak. The repair for this is to remove the transmission and torque converter and replace the front pump seal.