Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2012 prius plug-in hybrid i would like to tap a threaded…

2012 prius plug-in hybridi would...
2012 prius plug-in hybridi would like to tap a threaded port into the oil filter cap housing so i can redirect small amounts of oil to a bypass filter. the oil pressure sensor is to hard to access to install a tee adapter.where would i create the port in the oil filter housing cap?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/16/2018
Matt, Engineer

Hello and welcome to Just Answer

If you're tapping off the oil pressure for a bypass you can go through the centre of the oil filter cap as all of that volume is at main gallery pressure

however you will also need a return from the bypass filter to get the oil back into the engine and can I ask why you're doing this as the oil filter capacity has already been worked out by Toyota?

My goal is to give you the best advice that I can and I hope that I've helped today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting from the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave. If you need more help, use the reply box to let me know.
If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know how to get bypass oil back into engine.
I have been draining my oil every 5,000 miles and sending it through a bypass filter using a pump off the car.
The last oil analyst from blackstone lab says oil still good even with 15,000 miles on the oil.
Bypass filters are known to filter very, very small impurities that the regular oil filter can not.
I can use the same 4qts of oil for many more miles
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oil analysts

OK

so yes you can tap into the centre of the plastic cap

You'll need to use a bulkhead fitting with a dowty / sealing washer on the inside to ensure that the oil pressure pushs against the seal to prevent any leaks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For an extra tip;
I am currently using 7/16 ID hose on the bypass filter inlet.Give me a link to get this... bulkhead fitting with a dowty / sealing washer on the inside

Ok

if you use a goodridge bulkhead fitting like this

https://www.goodridge.co.uk/products/goodridge-male-male-bulkhead-adaptor?variant=35268487303

in dash 4 to give a 7/16 bore

drill through the cap and have the fitting on the inside so the long portion pokes through the cap and is secured with a nut

https://www.goodridge.co.uk/products/goodridge-lock-nut?variant=34150069959

Matt, Engineer
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
i got the part.
where is the bypass valve located in filter housing

hello

the bypass is on the entrance to the filter, its a spring loaded valve that opens up if the filter is blocked

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
the bypass valve is not going to be near the adapter installed in outside center of the oil cap?

Do you have any pictures of the oil filter housing with the filter removed?

use the paperclip icon to post them up if you do

as if the bypass is on the other end I'd agree there's a danger of it being operated by the fitting you want to add

Hello

that looks like the inside the cap is location tube to prevent the filter from collapsing, providing that you don't remove the tube or the material that retains it you will be able to add your fitting

OK so it looks like the filter support / bypass part steps up and away from the back of the filter housing?

so with some careful modification you should be able to fit the bulkhead fitting , providing that you cut the short stub off so you're left with just the nut part to retain the fitting so its as shallow as it can be with the long portion passing through the cap

Matt, Engineer