Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have error odb2 code p1739. Also when forcing 4x4 loose…

Hi. I have error...

Hi. I have error odb2 code p1739 . Also when forcing 4x4 loose torque and 4wd disconnects

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have the torque specs?

No..but when i mean i lose torque means i m driving on sand of climbing steep and an ugly noise comes from transfer case or somewhere and

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Kia?

Sorwnto kia 2009 diesel 2.5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sorento yourself? What have you tried so far?

Already just scanned

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its ok

3/16/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Alright, so the problem is that the shift motor for the torque on demand all wheel drive system is faulty.I'm attaching a document that describes how your torque on demand system works and if you search for the term General position encoder you will see what's going on.So basically this vehicle reads information for the engine computer and all wheel drive system and when it detects that it needs to shift into 4 Low from 4 high then it actuate's an electromagnetic clutch and shift motor to switch into 4 Low. That shift motor has what's called a general position encoder in it which is a sensor that detects what position the shift motor is in. Your fault code states that the journal position encoder has failed. The general position encoder is part of the shift motor and you have to basically just replace the shift motor as a unit.Here's the link to a really in-depth document that details how you're all wheel drive system works if you just hit search and search for General position encoder you'll find that shift motor in the information.http://www.kia-forums.com/attachments/2003-2010-sorento-forum/12035d1343124790-4w-low-wont-engage-need-help-bl-4wd_2.pdfPlease remember to hit accept next to my name if I've answered your question to your satisfaction, as that is the only way the site compensates me for my time, otherwise I'm not paid.If you have any follow-up questions please don't hesitate to ask you can ask follow-ups even after hitting accept.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I m not clear enough with your answer since I think you have to consider the sorento 2009 2.5 model is Automatic transmition and it has a manual selector shift for 2h, 4h and 4L.The operational description is: 1. I stop the car and shift manually from 2h to 4H, then I start to move with 4wd activated but..once I go on the sand or a more steep slope sound like a slipping or clunk noise coming and then I loose the grip, with only 2wd working again. After that, I switch off and on my car, the 4wd toque is not enough and I loose again the grip.so the shift motor to change from 2h, 4h ,4l works.I do that manually and I even hear the click sound when 4L is connected and works until torque is to strong and i loose the 4wd.
The fault code that you described States General position encoder fault. I believe in the document I sent you it states that both systems have that shift motor, and they aren't interchangeable, so I think you still need the shift motor, just the one for your system.It also totally fits with your description of the cause which is that the vehicle is attempting to shift itself into the correct setting but since the position sensor AKA The General position encoder is faulty it's not fully Shifting the vehicle into 4lo or 4hi like it's supposed to and because of that it's causing that grinding noise and then it's taking itself out of*****and putting itself back in 2.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I´m sorry i have more complete information : ODB scan errors are:1. p1739 solenoid #7 open
2. p1733 control A/t error
3. v0100does this change your prognosys?, if is the shift motor, where exactly is located to proceed to change?, would you recommend any spare parts online store?
Yeah that changes the prognosis a lot that means your transmission is possibly faulty and definitely needs to be opened up and checked.So basically your fault code number one means that one of the electronic solenoids that controls engaging the clutch packs in the transmission, so shift solenoid number 7 is electrically not connected to the transmission control module either because it's faulty or because there's a problem with the internal wiring harness in the transmission or because there's a problem with the wiring from the transmission to the transmission control module. And the way you figure that out is by inspecting the wiring and you can check the resistance of the wire from the connector at the transmission to the trans control module if you'd like, or basically just drop the transmission pan and check the resistance of the solenoid directly at the solenoid and go from there. Usually it means that the solenoid is faulty electrically because generally wiring doesn't just fail, but I guess if a rodent to chew through something or the vehicle was in an accident or something on the road came up and hit the wiring it's a possibility.The second fault code says that the shift from 3rd to 4th gear is not properly occurring, which is most likely because of that solenoid being open circuit it's not able to engage the proper clutch packs to engage 4th gear.Assuming the third fault code should say p0100 that fault code means that the mass air flow sensor is not properly reading in the engine control module or that the engine control module is not passing the load signal from the mass airflow sensor on to the transmission control module properly.That makes sense because generally when transmissions fail it's because the engine hasn't been running properly and it's been throwing off the shift points, when a mass airflow sensor doesn't read properly that throws the load single off so it tells the transmission computer that you're only on the throttle like 25 or 30% when really you might be full throttle and that results in the line pressure in the transmission being too low and causes clutch slippage of the clutches inside the trans and burns up the transmission. That's not going to cause an electrical malfunction like an open solenoid but it does cause transmission failure.But the other person that I saw mention P1739 also said that the transmission was bad too so it basically aligns with what they were saying.If you're able to work on the vehicle yourself it might be worth you giving it a shot to fix that solenoid, you might just want to replace the valve body.The thing is that if this transmission has over a hundred thousand miles like I would say if it has a hundred fifty thousand miles or more I probably wouldn't even consider trying to fix the solenoid or the trans I would more than likely just go on www.Car-part.com and see if that website works in your country and just find a used transmission with low miles on it and swap it in it's both easier from a technical standpoint and probably a better idea because automatic transmissions don't tend to last 200,000 miles very often due to the fact that most manufacturers call the transmission fluid lifetime even though the people that make the transmission itself generally say change the fluid every 40,000 miles.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My comments:
1. in "Assuming the third fault code should say p0100 ...": the correct fault code is v0100 and is related to lost contact with ECM .
2. I m able to work on the vehicle myself, to give a shot to fix that solenoid, so I want to replace the valve body, where is this one located?
3. transmission: car has only 80k miles.
4. enviroment and history: main car computer was replaced 6 months ago for quite similar unit, after ECU failing due spilling water to the unit. Thinking about some program failure,I did reset the computer but same odb errors came over again. Also I live in a very humid/windy area in front of the sea and already had to replace corroded electrical parts in previous cars. And finally, my daily road to my house includes a 70 mts long home very steep road, with sand and bumps so it would had been quite easy to spoil mechanical and electrical components recently.
5. when you mean transmission, do you mean transfer case or main transmission body?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Finally today i was able to put a camera underneath my car and I m able to share this video to you so you can tell the noise vibration shake(wsup?). and also I made an inspection and found the right side cvj is loose. would be this the main cause?.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
https://youtu.be/I0g6sFFd5Gc?list=FLrdGXhApD0agS2eNw5echxQ is the video for you.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician