Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My 2002 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl is still pumping out a P1457…

My 2002 Honda Accord EX...
My 2002 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl is still pumping out a P1457 code after replacing the EVAP shutoff valve, canister, all solenoids What now?!
3/15/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

I'd recommend having a smoke test done to fine leak. This code can be caused by many things such as leaking lines, gas cap, filler tube, fuel pump seal, ect. If there are no leaks found then replace the fuel tank sensor which can cause false leak codes. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Smoke test already performed, nothing found. Gas cap replaced, no change. It’s amazing that 4 mechanics couldn’t narrow it down.

If no leaks have been found then I would consider also having a vacuum test done to make sure system holds pressure, if so this would prove the fuel tank pressure sensor has failed. Based on fat 4 mechanics have looked at it with no leaks found I think that is most likely cause. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fuel tank pressure sensor has also been replaced. What else you got?

The fuel cap is a common cause but beyond that I'd probably bring it to the dealership to see if they can find leaks. If no leaks are found then next thing I'd suspect is a failed ECM but that is unlikely. Here is information from manual related to code.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4862pce5fc2ebnh/1457.pdf?dl=0

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Fuel cap was replaced. Can it be one purchased from Autozone or do you recommend going OEM? It was listed as meeting OEM specs. Let me know what you think.

I think it is probably fine but this isn't going to be a easy fix, just replacing parts doesn't seem to be doing much for you and pretty much everything has been replaced. I think dealership is going to be best option or someone who is really willing to take time and smoke test every part of evap system and pressure test system.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I probably should’ve started off our conversation by saying the first set of mechanics I went to was the Honda dealership near me. They f**king suck, excuse my French, but they took my money and didn’t get shit resolved. They didn’t even have the decency to tell me they didn’t take the time to acquire a smoke machine to smoke out the system, they were yanking my chain and I went there three times and they didn’t have the smoke machine when they told me they would. I mean what kind of dealership mechanic shop is that?!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I’m at a loss for words with those kind of places. They’re blood suckers is what they are.

Ya, that doesn't sound right. You could buy a vacuum pump and try to check things yourself.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, where would I start?

I'd start by disconnecting hose that goes to fuel tank to see if fuel tank holes pressure if so check to see if hose between fuel tank and evap canister holes pressure, then hose between evap canister and engine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you provide me with any documentation on this?

I can give you troubleshooting instructions from manual for 1457

Nevemind, I see you already have it. What type of documentation are you looking for?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
To perform tests with the vacuum pump.
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi .

Check your EVAP bypass solenoid typical failure point when vacuum is confirmed good and no leaks found with

the smoke machine .

Best way to confirm this is to use the scan tool and activate the solenoid to see if it clicks ,no click possible bad solenoid

so now with ignition ON check that the solenoid is getting power.if power replace the solenoid .

Point also check the function of the purge solenoid ,check for hose restrictions .check purge has also power .

If you don't have a scan tool to activate remove and bench test .

80% of the P1475 issue i have in my shop is the bypass valve the culprit..

You tested all this let me know please .

Rgds Greg

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

Sounds good all the best .

Greg

Greg
Greg, Technician
Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician