Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2001 Isuzu trooper. Just replaced starter. Bench tested

2001 Isuzu trooper....

2001 Isuzu trooper. Just replaced starter. Bench tested first and bendix worked, etc. After install, turn key - starter just spins. Checked flywheel - teeth OK. No shims either on this install - two bolts hold starter in place. Cleaned up both ends of main 12vdc cable and also bypassed key by actuating solenoid directly from battery. Still just spins. Also put jumpers on battery for extra amperage. Same result. I'm runningout of ideas on why it's not engaging. BTW - I tried TWO new starters. Both do the same thing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?

In Park. Doesn't have wheel lock to my knowledge. Is in same state that old starter worked. Just changed cause old one had flakey bendix. wouldn't endgage from time to time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trooper yourself? What have you tried so far?

Everything I mentioned above. Have worked on a lot of vehicles so am pretty savvy about the process. This one just has me baffled.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The symptoms and what I've done I think I've laid out. can't think of anything eles Works for me. Thanks

3/15/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Are you sure it is wired correctly on the vehicle, the correct wire is on the correct terminal? You have described a concern where the starter solenoid is not moving the fork and pushing the bendix out into the flexplate. If you unbolt the starter from the vehicle, ground it with jumper cables, hold it tight and have another try to start, does the bendix gear spin and move out?

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

It's wired properly. And I benched tested both new starters with same wiring config - on both the bendix worked fine. Lemme ask you this - are shims ever used on 2001 Isuzu Trooper starters? Cause only thing I can think of is that starter gear is too far away from flywheel and a shim on outside bolt would move it closer. I remember doing an Isuzu Trooper starter with shims, but I think it was a 92.

It shows no shims used on the starter during install. If it needed shims you would still hear the bendix grind against the flexplate. If you hear nothing but spinning it would take a a lot of shims to move the gear that much.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
I hear you. Here's the thing, though. On the bench it's easy to hear/see the bendix snap out the gear right before the starter spins, but when it's in the vehicle I think that all I hear is the starter spinning. But that tells me perhaps not enough amperage to activate the bendix. But I've cleaned up all connections really well and powered the solenoid directly from the battery while at the same time having the battery hooked to my charger on boost. And the old, flakey starter, when the bendix wasn't sticking, worked fine.

As long as the battery has 12.6 or more volts then there are enough amps.

battery has the voltage/amps. My next step is to take out the two bolts, pull it back, and turn the key to actually see if the gear is kicking out. If so, then I'll compare that new starter to old one (luckily my parts guy still has it) to make sure there's no dif. Would take less that a 1/4" offset to keep the gear from meshing with flywheel. Anyway, thanks for your help. I gave you 5 stars. Pete

If you are using cheap aftermarket ones from a parts store, that too can be to blame.

I think I got it figured out, On new starter there are inserts in both bolt holes on the side that should sit flush with the bell housing. They stick out about 1/4". On the old starter, there aren't any, which tells me that they're likely still in the bell housing and I didn't see them. So I guess that even though it felt tight, the starter was sitting at least 1/4", if not more, from the bell housing so it didn't align properly with the flywheel. Haven't pulled the new starter back out yet to see if I'm right, but I gotta think the prob has to be alignment,

That makes sense. That 1/4 inch would be enough to not all the teeth to mesh.