Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I recently did a brake job on my Porsche Cayenne and when I…

I recently did a brake...
I recently did a brake job on my Porsche Cayenne and when I went to reassemble everything accidentally sprayed electronic cleaner into the wrong end of the abs sensor (connected to the electrical system) in stead of the one on the caliper. I now have an ABS light as expected, do I need just a new abs sensor wire harness or did I cause even more damage. Thank you.
3/15/2018
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi im kevin this will not cause a warning to activate however having the multiplug unplugged will or incorrectly reinstalled .have you driven car since ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Kevin,So this is the story so you can diagnose properly. I had a wheel bearing issue on both front sides, rather than replacing just the bearings I decided to swap the whole knuckle since I am far from any press shop. Anyway, the passenger side front was not an issue after replacement, took for a 5 mile test drive and no abs lights on the dash.However, when I did the front driver, as I was going to put everything back, my wife came and in my distraction sprayed the wrong end of the sensor wire. (did not let thoroughly dry since I thought it was screwed and I need to replace anyway) I did turn the vehicle on a few times since and the abs comes on each time. I finally completed the driver side knuckle today and took it half mile down the road and the light still is on. Thanks.

ok you will need to get code pulled from system to narrow down the cause .i would just double check the connection to the connector to ensure its plugged all the way in .its possible that the sensor has been damaged in the process .contact cleaner wont cause an issue as its non conductive

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok great, that's a relief to know. Now that you mention it, the sensor wire connected to the caliper was a little lose due to the tab breaking and might not be properly seated. Since those are the only two wires and you confirming that it is non conductive, that must be my problem. Thank you very much for your help today.

No problem let me know how you get on and please remember to rate my service

Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Absolutely, I'm new to justanswer and doing the free trial but it's been a great week of help so far. Will be sure to rate, have a good one.

Thanks let me know if you need anything else at all

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Good news, so my abs light sorted itself out. Funny it's always when you mention it to a mechanic or a professional, you guys must have some powers. I'll be sure to tighten the loose connection that was probably setting it off, I thought for sure the spray ruined it. Anyway, thanks again and good night.
No problem glad your all sorted
Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic