Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

In my 2011 Avalon, the "cruise" light comes on but the

Hello, in my 2011...

Hello, in my 2011 Avalon , the green "cruise" light comes on but the system will not engage then.

Mechanic's Assistant: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?

I can't do that. when you take off your foot of the gas, the car slows down.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Avalon yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have not checked the fuses yet.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am looking at where to look first

3/15/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
I understand that you're not able to get the cruise control to engage, is it just at the set button isn't working? You didn't mention hitting the set button, what you have to do after turning the switch on to activate the cruise control system.After you hit the set button it should then maintain speed, if not try to hit the accelerate or resume button and see if you can get it to maintain speed that way. Basically on modern vehicles the system consists of the cruise control switch which runs the wires directly to the engine computer and the engine computer actuate's the throttle body on its own and then if you hit the brake, the brake light switch also communicates with the engine computer for this and other reasons and it will deactivate the cruise control.So, it's not like older vehicles that had vacuum solenoids and a like vacuum canister in the engine bay that would hold the throttle body manually place where the throttle cable and or use a separate cruise control module basically we know your engine computer is functioning, if your brake lights work, then we consume in 99% of the cases the cruise control switch is faulty. The only thing that would really be would be bad wiring and really that only happens from rodent damage which is very rare on the interior of a car, you can check the engine bay for evidence of rodents like seeds, shells, nests, or chewing damage, but more than likely you'd have a check engine light from them chewing through something else so I'd probably just replace the cruise control switch.If I've answered your question to your satisfaction please remember to hit accept as as the only way the site pays me for my time.If you have any further follow-up questions please don't hesitate to ask, you can ask them even after hitting accept.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will need to check again based on your suggestions. I will get back to you if I have any further questions. Thank you.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician