Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I tried to reset my tpms and then when i tried to crank my…

I tried to reset...

I tried to reset my tpms and then when i tried to crank my car it would not start but all the lights and radio was on at first so i thought the battery needed to be jumped off but when we connected the cables everything went black and now it wont do anything except when you press the brake you can hear a clicking noise

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked your tire pressure? Do you have a tire gauge?

I know my tire pressure is off i did it on piurpose to reset the tpms

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Nissan?

2012 altima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Altima yourself? What have you tried so far?

See my value stem sensor went out and i had it replaced today but they didn't reset my light so it would go off

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No i think i have covered it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The main reason i had my sensor replaced was because the low pressure light and my master light stay on in the dash therefore if something did go wrong with the car i would not know it because it stays on all the time the mechanic who replaced the sensor said it would reset itself after driving for a few minutes but it didn't i called the Nissan dealer ship and asked them and they said i would to bring it to them to reset and the charge was $149.00 after already paying $100 to have the sensor replaced so i decided i would try to do it myself. i was told to change the tire pressure left front to 34 psi right front to 31 psi the right back to 29 psi and the left back to 26 psi then to take the instrument panel under the steering wheel off and look for the white plug that goes to the tpms and insert a copper wire the turn the ignition to the on positon but not starting the engine then to take the other end of the wire and tap it 6 times on the metal bracket until the light stop blinking but when i went to start the engine it would not start but the all the interior lights and radio worked fine so i thought the battery needed to be jumped off but when connecting the jumper cables they had tons of spark but all the lights went and the car would not do anything and when the brakes they feel really tight and then a clicking noise started under the hood in the fuse boxes and only when you push the brake down and when you released the noise started again
3/15/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Assuming you didn't hook the battery cables up backwards and get everything in the car, your battery is completely dead or your battery cables are not hooked up properly or you have corrosion whatever the case is basically the connection between the cables on the battery is being impeded by something and it's not able to draw enough amperage across to run the vehicle.I would start by disconnecting the battery clean the corrosion and reinstalling the cable so that they're tight and secure.If you have a voltmeter you can check the battery voltage, but if I'm right in the cables are unsecured or corroded your battery is probably now bad from not charging fully. If you don't find any actual corrosion at the cables or they are there not loose, then you need to follow the ground cable to where it connects I make sure that connection to the chassis or engine are free of corrosion and it is tight.Your warning lights very well might be on because of the battery issue throwing the voltage supply to the sensors or modules off, which in turn throws the readings the sensors return off.From your description of hooking up the jumper cables it sounds like you hook them up backwards they shouldn't spark a lot the only reason they would spark like that is if there was a large draw upon the battery, and even a drop a couple of amps doesn't do that. If you were hooking up one side and another person with the other up they might hook them up backwards and then you hook them up correctly by color which was actually backwards.Once you fix the battery voltage problem I'm going to attach a picture of how to actually reset it you seem to have the pressures and the procedure off a little bit.Apparently this procedure is only necessary when you get a sensor change which they should have registered to the vehicle if it was register the vehicle you probably can just set the pressures properly and drive the car.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please hit accept because that's the only way the site will compensate me for my time.If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to ask if you can ask even after hitting accept.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok i am a little confused even the battery has corrosion on the cables why when you press the brake there is a clicking noise coming from under the hood in the fuse box. it was not another car that we used to jump start it we used a machine made to jump start cars but when we hooked it to the cables the interior lights and dash lights went dim and that's when it started acting really crazy
Because when the vehicle has low voltage it causes relays to try to stay open but they don't have enough voltage do so they click shot it's a common problem on a vehicle with low voltage that's how I know that you actually has low voltage because that's what relays do when the voltage drops like that.Regardless just ignoring the clicking what you're describing with the dash lights means you have no voltage.Basically think of corrosion on the battery cables as like....a small amount of water powering a water wheel, you're supposed to
You're supposed to have a large amount of water flow which keeps the wheel spinning quickly all the time but if you have a small amount of water flow you get a little bit of a dribble than the wheel moves a little and then stops, that's what you have going on with voltage and push the brake pedal that uses up all the electricity the relay shots it stops using electricity, then there's enough power to open the relay again it clicks back on.The first thing you do is fix the voltage issue.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do you think it has anything to do with me trying to reset the tpms. because it was fine until i tried starting it all the lights and radio was on until i hook the machine that jumps it off to it that's when the interior lights dimmed the dash lights and radio would not come on and now when i press the brake and release it a clicking noise started and it stops when you push the brake and starts again when you release the brake
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
by changing the battery is what you are saying ok then what after that
I think that basically you having the ignition key on with the car not rhyme and a bad battery connection or bad battery cause the battery to run down very quickly and that when you put the jump box on you disturb the cables have you physically grab the cables and move them to see if they're tight?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but it has nothing to do with me trying to reset the tpms sensor
]
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i have i actually had an inspection done on my car yesterday and was told everything was fine
Have YOU physically grabbed the cables and tried to move them? There's a lot of lazy technicians out there I've worked with people that dealership I wouldn't let Touch of my car there's different levels of inspection there's a good chance they didn't grab the battery cables and try to move them, you need to try to move them see if they're tight and then make sure that the cables are going into the battery cable clamps securely and everything, there's really two options here and that's that your car is really messed up, or that you've got a bad connection to the battery or the batteries faulty.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok could i have messed anything up trying to reset the tpms
I don't think so no, I checked the procedure and it says to ground that 2 wire white connector to put the TPMS into sensor learn mode.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician