Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I bought a 2006 Toyota Sienna LE with 92k miles. I had a…

I bought a 2006 Toyota...
I bought a 2006 Toyota Sienna LE with 92k miles. I had a mechanic take a look at the car. He said that the rack and pinion was leaking and that it needed a new rack n pinion for over $1000. . Another mechanic said that the boot came off and under that it was leaking. He also said it needed a new rack and pinion. Another mechanic said he would just replace the boot and didn't say to replace the whole thing. I decided to do nothing with it. I attach a photos to see what you think. I read that Toyota had a service bulletin about this problem and had a kit to fix it. Does that mean you need to buy it from Toyota dealer and is an improvement over the original OEM? I also was told that the car needed a new cv joint because the rubber was torn. Another said it was needed but just showed me a little leak by the axle. I had the cv joint fixed. But I attached a photo to see what you think.
3/15/2018
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

Hello, and welcome to just answer. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Based on those pictures, I would not replace the rack and pinion. I would agree with the mechanic who said to just replace the boot. It only looks like it is seeping and not leaking so to speak. A new boot will keep the dirt out and prevent further seal damage.

What I would do is to have the boot replaced, then drain and refill the power steering system and add some Lucas power steering additive. It will help prolong the system and help the seals do their job.

Chris

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Lucas-LUC10008...Power-Steering-Stop-Leak/16777814

I hope this information/answer is helpful, and if so would you please help me and rate my service using the stars at the top of the page or 'accept' my answer.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!
You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept. Thank-you!

Chris

What about the cv joint? Did that need replacing? It was $200 so I went ahead and replaced it.

To be honest with you it did not look that bad, and new clamps on the CV boot probably would have stopped that grease seepage. However for $200.00 it was a good move. Peace of mind.

Chris

Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

Tank you for accepting my answer! I will keep this session open for a few days just in case you have any follow up questions.

Chris