Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I've got a 2000 dodge grand caravan 3.3 engine. I just

Second opinion] I've got...

Second opinion] I've got a 2000 dodge grand caravan 3.3 engine. I just stopped and filled up the gas. When I got home I smelled gas. Checked under neath and saw gas leaking. Looks like its coming from up around under the plastic ring that hold on the fuel pump. What can I do? And I'm a average home mechanic. I do have photos of needed

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

I just bought the van three weeks ago, and was told it had been replaced last summer

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Caravan yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm going to try and fix it myself, haven't tried anything yet since I don't know what to do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No except I do have photos of it if needed

3/15/2018
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician

Hi Greg, it looks like you may have split the o-ring that seals the fuel pump assembly into place. On a few of those I have also seen a crack of the fuel tank itself, but that is more uncommon. If you are going to try and fix it yourself you may want to run some fuel out of the tank before trying to drop it, just to reduce the weight.

Ok a question for you. I had it sitting for about an hour. It stopped leaking. Started it drove it for a few minutes came back home turned it off wasn't leaking. Then after about 30 seconds it started leaking again from same spot. Is that the o ring? And is it safe to drive?

So you develop a slight vacuum in the tank from the fuel pump pulling fuel from it. Then you stop and pressure comes back up and it starts to leak again. It still could be the O-ring and since the plastic looks new, I wouldn't be surprised to find someone recently worked on it and messed up the installation. I don't know where you are and I will tell you that I do not recommend driving a car with a significant fuel leak. If it's hot the vaporized fuel could find a source of ignition below the car (catalytic converter) and the results would be bad. If it's cold where you are then the chances are less (fuel doesn't vaporize as easily) but still could be dangerous, so I can't really recommend it. Remember that a single spark and a teaspoon of vaporized fuel will cause a pretty good fire.

I was told that it had a new fuel pump put on last summer. I've had the van for 3 weeks and this is the first time this has happened. I'm in southern Ohio and it's like 34 degrees.
I was told by the other mechanic that I should drive it to get it down to 1/4 of a tank. That's why I asked you about driving it. Since I'll have to drop the tank.

Look, for liability sake I can't tell you to drive it with a fuel leak. And probably when you get a couple of gallons out it will stop leaking since it will be below the rim of the tank opening. The proper way would be to drain it down with a siphon and then work on it. But probably after sitting tonight the fuel will be low enough that it won't leak much at all.

Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Ok siphon it out. That's what I needed to know. I was afraid to drive it and didn't know any other way to get out the gas. I didn't think about siphoning it out. Thank you