Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Will only start with full choke, dies instantly if any

Will only start with...

Will only start with full choke, dies instantly if any throttle is applied, and if within seconds otherwise

Mechanic's Assistant: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?

Yes. Battery is charged and lights are operational

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your motorcycle?

2004 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 C2

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your bike yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to fix it myself as I am trying to sell it. I have not done much as of yet. It started and ran well late October. I put fuel stabilizer in the tank, plugged in the battery tender (which was unplugged sometime since then). Took bike out over the weekend and have this issue starting. I removed the spark plugs today and they look okay. I also put fresh fuel with SeaFoam in the tank Monday.

3/14/2018
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
What you have going on sounds like the jets are plugged in the carbs. This happens when anything with a carb sits for too long. I would be removing the carbs and inspecting the jets will show they are plugged. They can be cleaned out and reassembled.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have limited experience with the fuel system/carbs. Is this something than be done by a novice?
If you have never had a carb apart it might not be the best time to try. There are small needles and jets and floats that need to be cleaned and set properly. If you never had one apart I would recommend not doing it yourself. Especially if you want it correct to sell it.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is there any chance commercially available cleaners would help the situation?
No. A plugged jet needs to be cleaned with compressed air and a tiny jet cleaning tool.
This is so common from the poor quality gasoline used these days.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can the carb be removed and taken in for service, or will the entire bike need to go?
the carb can be removed and taken in. Of course they will be unable to verify the repair. But it is obvious when one is plugged

Make any progress getting your carb cleaned?

EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician