Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have 1997 Nissan max with auto tranny. The car takes a…

I have 1997 Nissan...

I have 1997 Nissan max with auto tranny. The car takes a long time to move when I shift into drive, if I shift to reverse it moves right away. Problem is only when shifting to drive.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?

Original tranny bought the car use very high miles and the problem just started. No leaks to my knowledge, its my son's car.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '97 Nissan?

Maxima

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Maxima yourself? What have you tried so far?

Well I usually do the repairs when my son can get it to me. The fluid has never been changed since he has had the car. I was going to change fluid and filter and see if problem goes away.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Wow much tranny fluid does this car hold after change.

3/14/2018
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, this is usually due to low line pressure in drive. Changing the filter may resolve the issue. Total capacity is 10qts, a filter change should take 3-5. After changing it add 3 allow it to warm up then shift through gears and check level.

If the filter change does not solve the problem a pressure test will need to be done to see if it's the pump or pressure solenoid.

My goal is to provide 5 star service. Rating/accepting does not cost extra and ensures I'm credited for my time and knowledge. It also does not close your question if you have a follow up concerning this. Thank you for using Just Answer!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay thanks, ***** ***** to be clear. After I change filter, tranny should take 3-5 qts. Then let warm up the add 3 more qts?

Thanks for responding back to clarify. After changing the filter add just 3qts then let it warm up and check the level after going through the gears sitting still you may have to add up to another 2 qts. The total capacity is 10qts put usually a filter change only removes around half.

K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician