Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

It makes a horrible noise on the front drivers side as

It makes a horrible...

It makes a horrible noise on the front drivers side as though metal is rubbing metal particularly when I brake and the car settles

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2007 Cadillac SRX with 70K miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your SRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, anticipating going to get the shocks/struts replaced but it drives well, smooth, no wear on the tires, good alignment

Mechanic's Assistant: How has the ride been lately? Have you noticed any fluid under the car?

None, I've had it checked by two mechanics and they saw no leaking with the shocks and felt it was a bad bushing

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am truly concerned about the grinding noise but have not had the front brakes checked yet

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/14/2018
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

So far it sounds like brake pads are worn down to the point where wear indicator is making contact with the rotor. What do you mean by noise happens when car settles?

Kind of a grinding noise but the noise continues when I drive , it's just worse when I stop. So far no stopping problems but the back brakes are new and may be doing the bulk of the stopping
Do not want to talk, as I am not fixing this myself....I am a 68 year old lady and I doubt that I can take this job on:))

I think brakes are your problem, not much else would be worse while braking. The pads can be completely worn out and it will still brake fine, but it will ruin the rotors. This is about a $250 repair if just the pads need to be replaced but if rotors also need to be replaced it will bring total to around $400-$500. My goal is to provide 5 star service so please let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Ok will have those checked, it's a used car and I've put a few dollars in it but not new front brakes, would they make noise even when you are driving and not braking??

Yes they would make noise at all times. The brake pads have a low pad indicator which makes contact with rotor when they get low. The indicator is a metal tab that sticks off side of brake pad. So this tab will drag along the rotor making a metal on metal sound at all times and then when you press the brakes the tab will dig deep making the scraping sound louder. I'd try to get it done sooner then later so it doesn't lead to other issues like caliper or rotor replacement which could easily double cost of repair. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Dan, Technician
Thank you Dan, I think you have been helpful and I know the other mechanics never checked the brakes. That has been in the back of my mind.