Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My acuras transmission has an issue shifting past 40mph. if…

my acuras transmission has an...
my acuras transmission has an issue shifting past 40mph. if i try to go over it will lower the rpms like it shifts but instantly rev back up and down shift by itself. it continues doing it eventually coming to a stop and not run after unless i restart the car then it will run until i try to go over 40mph again
2004 acura tl automatic
3/14/2018
Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician

Good evening, I hope you are doing well. My name is***** would be happy to help you get this figured out.

It sounds like we have either a solenoid/pressure issue, or an internal clutch plate that is worn out and not allowing it to shift.

Do you currently have any warning lights on? Have you had it scanned for any codes?

No codes but an airbag one but that isn't related I would say. it was running fine over the weekend and it just started doing it today

Alright good to know. You are correct, the airbag light will not be related.

Since there are no codes stored it is possible that it is a low fluid issue. If it has a dipstick then I would start by checking that and seeing where things are at

Transmission fluid level is good.

Okay if the fluid is good then it will be something internal. It will require a scan tool that is capable of monitoring transmission shift and pressure data. It sounds like a solenoid is failing, but usually that will set a check engine light

what part would you replace first that you think is causing the problem?
i have this scanner.
https://www.amazon.com/Autel-AutoLink-AL619-OBDII-Diagnostic/dp/B072FHD8LB/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1520993867&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=autel+scanner+al619&psc=1it can monitor live data. ill run it and upload a photo of the list it provides and show you.
  • We would need to start by identifying what gear it is having trouble shifting into, then I would start with that solenoid. There is usually a 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, 4-5,5-6 solenoid, so five total depending what speed the transmission is
do any of those provide you with useful information?
Issue is going into 3rd gear.

Unfortunately those are all engine data readings and not transmission data. If the issue is 3rd gear than it could be the 2-3 solenoid, or a clutch pack inside the transmission. The solenoids are a pretty common failure

Where is it located and do you know the part number?

The solenoid is located in the transmission valve body. To gain access you will need to remove the transmission pan and filter.

Here is the OEM part number: 28400-P6H-013

Hello, any luck with this?

Haven't done much due to rain. For the clutch plate, is it not that difficult to replace?
Might end up replacing the transmission but I wanna replace the parts you say are bad first

Okay no problem. If it is indeed the clutch plate, that is internal to the transmission, so it will require removing and overhauling. It may be worth it to do a cost comparison on parts to see if it will be cheaper to tear into it and rebuild it VS replacing the transmission, a lot of times it is better to just replace it

Would the transmission run ok if the part the carries the gears and clutches was replaced only?

If the clutch plates are worn out then it will still have issues until the clutches are replaced. Replacing the carrier will not have much of an affect on the shift quality

Gabriel Grey
Gabriel Grey, Auto Service Technician