Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2001 isuzu rodeo will not start after fuel pump replacement.

Customer Question
2001 isuzu rodeo will...

2001 isuzu rodeo will not start after fuel pump replacement

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

Replaced

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Rodeo yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced fuel pump and fuel pump relay. After checking the ECM isn't sending power to the relay to prime the fuel pump during start up. Engine cranks but doesn't start. Also during cranking the security light flashes slow

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I have already replaced the ecm

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
3/13/2018
Auto Mechanic: Dan, ASE Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am a Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Update: The security light stopped blinking when i simply closed the door

Was the engine running before fuel pump replacement?

No. When i tryed to start it I noticed the fuel pump wasn't priming. After testing the relay ( it was good) I replaced the fuel pump.
No. When i tryed to start it I noticed the fuel pump wasn't priming. After testing the relay ( it was good) I replaced the fuel pump.After fuel pump replacement, fuel pump still isn't priming.

Have you checked the fuel pump fuse? Try spraying starting fluid in the throttle body and see if the engine will run.

Fuel pump fuse is good.
I have no pressure in the fuel rail due to the fuel pump not priming druing start up. How would starting the car with Either help? Asking because I don't have any and will need to go to town.)

I just want to confirm that this is a fuel issue. Sounds like you know for sure that the fuel pump is not getting voltage. Do you have power at the relay with the relay removed?

12 v at the relay (87 to 30). But during startup NO power at the relay on poles that engage the switch (85 to 86.
when i jump 87 to 30 ( this bypasses the relay switch) it engages the fuel pump (priming) so I know it works.

Will the pump run if you use a jumper wire at the switch of the relay? This will verify the wiring to the pump is ok.

Ohm the wiring harness between the ecm and the switching side of the relay to verify the harness is ok

already did.From the relay: the ground is good. the wire from relay to ecm postion 42 is good. no breaks
I have also relayed the ecm

Have you scanned ecm for codes?

no, I can't move the car. Working on it in the drive way.

You said you replaced the ECM. Was the ecm programmed to the vehicle? the vehicle has an immobilizer.

When i sent a request to a shop they told me it was plug in play with no reprogramming required

It depends if your vehicle has immobilizer or not, and right around 2001 is when the Rodeo had the immobilizer.

The immobilzer will cut off fuel. The new ecm may not be recognizing the key.

I thought that too. So after I troubleshot the electrical, I ordered a used ECM. When i arrived as went to send it for reprogramming and was told it didn't need it. How can i be sure?
when it arrived I went*

You would need a scan tool to verify. Best would be to have the Tech2 scan tool.

A possible solution would be to have a mobile locksmith come out and program the key.

roger that. Thanks man

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a positive (3 star or higher) rating would be appreciated
You can do this rating by clicking on the stars.
This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free!
I do not get credit unless you give a positive rating.
Please do not give a negative rating (2 stars or less) without asking about what you need more help with.

I am contacting you because this question has not been closed or rated.

This question will automatically time out after 7 days. Please let me know if you have any questions so I can help more.

A 3 star or higher rating would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I am trying your suggestions today ( pull codes and/or call locksmith to reprogram the keys) after I try those to courses of action, depending on their outcome, I will give you a rating.

Thank you

Are you moving forward on this?

Dan, I tryed both of your suggestions. There are no codes and the locksmith came out and said the car did not need the key programed. Any other ideas?