Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

F450 2017 tow mileage dropping. Your tech brief on DPF led…

F450 2017 tow mileage...

F450 2017 tow mileage dropping. Your tech brief on DPF led me to want to check the DPF and look at am OCR. Have type 3 Display and there are no menu items for the DPF as shown in the manual. How do I know if it is getting regenerated?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your F450 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, I do have an appointment Friday at Kisselback Ford in St Cloud Fl

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I’m questioning if the firmware is right if there is nothing on DPF

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
A previous note to Kisselback Ford. Gives some backgrounds. Gary, I hope you are doing well. I wonder if you would be willing to help me with a concern on the F450? Maybe relay to Service for me.
1) what initiated the concern is I have observed towing (14,000 lbs) over the year the towing mileage decrease from Hwy 11.3 mpg to 9.3mpg on the same RV loaded the same way. However, when not towing it is close to the same 16.5mpg.
2) I thought it might be the DPF, but my daily drive to work is 18 mi one way at 50 mph so plenty of time to regenerate.
3) looked at manual and looked for DPF % clogged, it is not listed even though the manual for my display shows it.
4) my 2014 F250 would display a message saying DPF cleaning and you would see instant mileage drop as it enriched the fuel. The F450 has never displayed a DPF regeneration message. But I have seen, rarely, the instant mileage drop then recover in 15 to 20 minutes.
5) There is no owner option to check DPF % or manually start a regeneration.Seems like what the manual shows and says does not agree with the truck. 14,000 lbs is nothing to this truck. The F250 averaged tow of the same RV 11.7mpg over 3 yrs. I know the F450 is heavier and geared higher 4.3 so I expected some tow mileage loss. However, from 1k to 3k miles it was right at 11.3. But over time to now 10k miles it steadily dropped to 9.3. Using same fuel sources WAWA and Pilot. Service is only by Kesselback.My observations are real but none may be a cause. Can I get a sanity check from an expert?Many thanks,
Bill
3/14/2018
Enes
Enes, Volvo Technician

ARE YOU GOING by computer on dash miles per gallon or do you calculate own diesel use and miles ? also send full vin I check if there are any service bulletins

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have been using the computer in dash for mpg. Checked it against fill up several times but not each time. Vin 1FT8W4DT2HEC28755
I think my opinion not from ford yet addmiting it the computer on dash don’t cAlculate correct . Do this I had one costumer. He measure manually fuel miles driven with gallons in truck and his mileage was much better then trip computer
Not just ford Lot cars trip computer can’t be trusted as mileage is right but not acccurate . I still use miles driven by gallons I put and then I knit for sure how much the trip computer is wrong about
There no service updates for that vin is still to new for now
I you can please press green accept rate the answer we can talk faster after that and I get credit from web page also you can still talk to me after you accept
Enes
Enes, Volvo Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Enes, thank you. I will do it manually when I tow from here on. Appreciate your help. I still think the dash menu is wrong as there is no displays for the Diesel Particlate Filter

Don’t worry much about dpf that system is very sensitive to emissio. And will act give warnings very fast if something is wrong and faults will be stored in pcm but so sad I think you drive good miles and your car will be good for while . Any service on dpf is not cheap use until it gives warring no harm will happen .best would be no dpf at all they sale by pass kits

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Enes, thanks again. Have a good day.
Thank you
Enes
Enes
Enes, Volvo Technician