Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a Ford Transit T280, 2011, fwd mk7. I am having

Hi there, I have a...
Hi there, I have a Ford Transit T280, 2011, fwd mk7. I am having trouble with the gears when engine is running.it is easy to select a gear when engine is not running. .I took gearshift mechanism out... it looks fine, all parts moves easy. Van done 80000 ml.
3/12/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

Is this a manual transmission?

Typically this is a worn out clutch causing the problem. When the engine is running it's not separating the engine and transmission like it's supposed to. This makes it difficult to shift into any gear when the engine is running. When it's off the transmission isn't spinning so then you can shift.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, could bleeding the clutch help?

Only if it is staying on the floor when you press it. If it is, then you aren't getting pressure to the pressure plate to engage the clutch.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK, thank you. I will try to bleed the clutch..., if it will not help, will have to find some where to change the clutch. There is one more Q I have, if possible, when engine is worm, it is hunting/surging on idle speed a little. It dose it sometime, not constantly.
What can be the reason for that? Thank you. Igor.

This is a best guess because it's not consistent, I would suspect the mass air flow sensor unless it's a diesel. Sometimes you can test this by unplugging the sensor, then drive it and see if it's better. Since it's not happening all the time though, you might have some difficulty trying the test.

If it is a diesel, I am really not sure. I have no experience with diesel to be honest.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!​

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much.

You are very welcome and thank you for the rating!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician