Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

2003 Protege5 speedometer not working. when I check ohms of…

2003 Protege5 speedometer not...

2003 Protege5 speedometer not working. when I check ohms of sensor it's 380. Is it bad or good?

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

The speed sensor on the top of the automatic transmission

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Protege5 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I'm trying by myself and read that the speed sensor is bad when the speedometer doesn't work.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

At this time only if the 380 ohms I'm getting indicates if the sensor is bad or good

3/12/2018
Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1

greetings,

does the vehicle have ABS? are there any other functions of the instrument cluster not working? any lights on in the cluster?

we can test the sensor in the vehicle with a meter to test a/c voltage. this type of sensor makes a/c voltage , the faster the vehicle goes the more it makes. Generally when they fail you will get a high resistance reading but it is a common cause of no speed in the cluster. The ohm readings are not always given in test procedures, I could not find any. I found the speed sensor for about 50$ aftermarket.

I don't know if it has ABS. The only other function not working is the odometer which is expected if the speedometer does'nt work.
The engine light is on also a "Trans" light. The OBD code is P0500.
I removed the speed sensor that's on top of the transmission and tested the ohms which was 380 but from what you're saying that is not a good test.

With this type of sensor I would say 200 ohms or less. again I do not have the spec. Since it is a common fault I would replace the sensor. If you turn the ignition key on and you see a light for abs the vehicle has abs. ABS system is different

Hi Ironmike, I just checked and there is no indicator light displaying ABS on the cluster.
What does it mean that there is no ABS?

Ok, the system is less complicated. make sure the connector and wires are not damaged at the speed sensor. I have seen wires break on the inside with the insulation still intact. If the wires and connector look good I would replace the sensor. good luck ABS(anti lock braking system)

Many thanks, That's a big relief that it's not a major problem. I'm travelling out of town now and will chekc it again when I return.

great, good luck

Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1