Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I smell gas n looked around found a rusty gas line leak near…

I smell gas n...

I smell gas n looked around found a rusty gas line leak near firewall of my 01 Hyundai Elantra so I cut out rusted line segment and replaced with fuelgrade rubberized hose and clamps now I start car and check around for anything else bc I notice a small gas odor not from pressurized fuel intake line now but if I look towards firewall behind the carburetor and directly under carburetor i seena puddle but cant reach to touch n smell to see if for sure gas? And if I'm looking at carburetor to the bottom left corner I see liquid come from an opening looks n smells like gas

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, can you actually see the leak?

On the side of carburetor when car is running yes behind and under carburetor where puddle has occurred no I can't see it leaking but I can't get in there too good either to check it out very well

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Elantra yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and first thing I did was fixed the very visible fuel intake line that was rusted out by the firewall on driver side now it's good no leak there

3/12/2018
Dan, ASE Master Technician

Hello my name is***** am a Master Technician and I am glad to help you. I am reviewing your question now, and will reply shortly.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you

01 hyundai elantra does not have a carburetor. It has a throttle body.

This is a fuel injected engine and should have four fuel injectors and a fuel rail. Check the rubber hose that bolts onto the fuel rail. There is a metal crimp where the hose ends. There is also a rubber o ring where the fuel line connects to the fuel rail. I would check there.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. Giving a positive (3 star or higher) rating would be appreciated
You can do this rating by clicking on the stars.
This will not close your question and we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free!
I do not get credit unless you give a positive rating.
If you give a negative rating (2 stars or less) that does not result in a refund.
So please ask what you need more help with and let’s get your question answered!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is where I spotted the leak last night and this am doesn't seem to be leaking I just bought this car less than a month ago and replaced input and output speed sensors in transmission and now fuel line so could this gas smell be from the fuel line leak? It leaked into the driver side wheel area and undercarriage will this be a fire hazard even since the leaks been fixed? I have 4 kids and this is now my only vehicle I need to ensure it's safe to drive for them and myself with 96k miles I didn't expect the issues I had when buying but otherwise it seems like a nice car
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
is this a spot where a hose should be placed but is gone?

that is the fuel pressure regulator. the fuel inlet hose is on the other side of the fuel rail.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I checked fuel inlet hose and clamp and doesn't look to be leaking now but there's still a puddle under the carburetor not even sure whatit is to call the surface it's on maybe part of front axle ? It's directly under motor but then carburetor tends to be over it and there's quite a few lines running through the area just need to ensure it's safe to drive like this and if u think it could be there from the gas leak that sprayed fuel? And is it normal for fuel to come out of fuel pressure regulator? That's y it's so rusted I believe bc I saw it leak once but have saw it since is that normal?

No its not normal for the fuel pressure regulator to leak. If you saw it leaking then I would replace it.
I cannot answer if it is safe to drive or not as I am not there to inspect it. I would suggest taking this to a shop and have them perform a fuel pressure leak down test. Also have the engine degreased and washed down to get rid of the old gas that sprayed. This will also make it easier to fine future leaks.

I am contacting you because this question has not been closed or rated.
This question will automatically time out after 7 days. Please let me know if you have any questions so I can help more.
A 3 star or higher rating would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Dan, ASE Master Technician
Dan, ASE Master Technician