Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 2011 VW CC. Today while I was driving the

windshield wipers stopped working (mid...
I have a 2011 VW CC. Today while I was driving the windshield wipers stopped working (mid use) and the car stalled twice when I tried started driving. Once the battery light came on, and the second time I felt like I was giving it gas and it just stalled/died. I had a friend use a multi-meter device, and it looked like it was only running 13.3 (he said it should be closer to or at 14). He suspected it was some sort of electrical issue and it could be that alternator is going bad. He also noticed that there was very slight corrosion on ground cable that connects to battery terminal. He also told me to no use radio, heat and A/C. I did this on drive home and car drove fine.My questions (1) does this sound like an alternator problem ? (2) If so is this a repair I need a dealer/specialist to perform, or is this a job I can get done with a standard mechanic ? (3) What is reasonable cost for service ?
3/12/2018
eric remington

ok it stalled....did it restart? was battery able to crank engine?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Battery is about 6 months old. It cranked fine all 3 times. 1st time it drove but felt sluggish and like it couldn’t accelerate. Stalled. 2nd time, it started but again couldn’t accelerate. I gave it gas and it just died. I had radio and heat and lights and wipers on.3rd time it started. Was able to drive around and went back to my friends and ran tests. Was able to start a 4th time drive home (without radio or heat) and car seemed to drive fine.

are any other lights on the dash besides battery lite? battery lite still on? correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I know battery light was on once. I’m not sure if it came back again, and I don’t recall any other dash lights.

c​an u check? also do you have the ability to scan onboard modules?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No but I can take It tomorrow to a shop
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will advance auto be able to check this ?

yes check the modules for codes and report back to me what code numbers are...please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No codes were found. We tested battery and it was fine. No results on alternator test but auto zone says likely an electrical error, not alternator.

s​o vehicle is fine now? 14.0 volts is ideal on older vehicles but the voltage is regulated by the powertrain control module. on older vehicles this was not the case. if the computer feels the battery needs 13.3 volts it will only give that amount. Technicians used to the older cars have mistakenly replaced perfectly good alternators. Many possibilities exist for stalling. does engine always restart right away. does engine idle ok most of the time? does it stall when first started or when coming to a light? does it ever not restart right away?

d​oes engine run smooth? how many miles exist? have spark plugs been replaced? fuel treatment additives dry gas and other fuel conditioner that help clean ful injectors are good to add to tank. ohhhh I have seen where the low pressure pump dule fails and no current is provided to fuel pump. This is a possibility. how often do you experience the stall?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No its always started. Question is whether it can drive after starting. This happened twice over about 5 min yesterday.Previously (last February ) for about 2 hours. It would turn over but when I hit pedal it didn’t give it gas. No codes then either.Hasn’t happened before or since (until yesterday)

​oes engine run smooth? how many miles exist? have spark plugs been replaced? fuel treatment additives dry gas and other fuel conditionr that help clean ful injectors are good to add to tank. ohhhh I have seen where the low pressure fuel pump module fails no power pump. This is a possibility. how often do you experience the stall? yes no response from pedal? correct?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This has happened twice over 5 years. Bought with 20K miles. Fuel pump was replaced within 30k.Normally car starts, engine sounds and works great. And accelerates great. I’ve never added any additives (worried it will hurt car). But spark plugs were replaced about 15-30k ago. Manifold was cleaned during a factory recall

y​es I can be 100 percent sure but you have two fuel pumps a high pressure pump and a low pressure pump. the low pressure pump has a module that provides electrical power to pump. I have seen in more than one scenario where no power/not enough current voltage is provided to the pump via module. google tbhis you will find that it is a common problem. the way to check it is measure voltage going into module and also at pump and compare both the module (that sits atop pum p) are under thbe rear seat just lift it up it will be on the passenger right side

pump repaced but what about module

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not sure. What will this cost 2011 CC

its also not hard to replace te actual pump is a little harder...this makes sense due to the synptoms and the fact that the pump did not correct the problem at leastfor notvery long

I think they are around 150 for part you can obtain from vw also maybe rock auto. do you have someone with a meter that can test.? you maybe?

I have diagnosed and repaired these vw vehicles with exact same symptom and fixed it with module

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How much is labor ?

y​ou could find a shop that would do for an hour labor 100 bucks....so just to confierm symptoms are it stays running sometimes and it wont accelaerate like its running out of fuel...pull up bak seat you will see module atop the pump on [assenger side. th module builds up resistance and the current is limited to the pump

Its easy to replace would you like instructions? or no?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
please !

o​k as far as testing/replacing info let me have vin number

vehicle id number please

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
WVWNN7AN1BE726773

AHHH HERE WE GO JUST AS I SAID

Y​OU CAN FOLLOW THE INSTRUCITION INCLUDED. IF YOU MEASURE THE TWO WIRES AT THE PUMP AND THE YARE BEOLW 12 VOLTS WHEN PROBLEM IS OCCURING CK THE CURRENT GOING INTO THE MODULE IF ITS HIGHER THAN TOO MCUH RESISTANCE IN THE MODULE ALSO NOT ENOUGH POWER TO PUMP MAKE SENSE? IF YOU HAVE ANY ? ASK

eric remington
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here is test result
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
From Today's Test about 83,000 miles: 00135 Fuel system pressure too l ow. Checked fuel pump. Should be 55 to 87 PSI @ Idle. Test was at 30. Tried new control module. Still same. Let it sit for a few. Then PSI was at 40. Now its at 55 PSI @ Idle. Suspect fuel pump within spec. sporadic fault. Happened 1 time. SHOP IS RECOMMENDING Part #24242 Fuel Pump and [email protected] $605 cost.Back in 2013 @ 33,462 Miles I had a no-start issue as well. Codes PO455, Po0087 found. "Fuel Rail pressure to low. Found fuel pump module melted and pump shorted. Installed 3AA919051C Fuel Unit; 1T0906093G Control Unit; 01713112 Flat Fuse; Replaced pump and module. Repairs 20660100.5; 20661900.7; 20701900.3 VC Pump VC V80 Module VC.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ALSO, can you tell which of the two fuel pumps needs to be replaced with these test results ?

the low pressure pump...did you get a chance to measure voltage. are you able to install pump...both do fail

but still make sure that you are getting at least battery voltage to pump

otherwise the pump wont fix it either if you are getting battery voltage and still notputting out then yes change

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I can't install anything. The information I gave you was from the auto shop (2018) and the dealer that replaced the pump back in 2013. I want to confirm that this auto shop is going to replace the correct pump and is not just selling me a repair that I don't need and won't fix my issue.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is the low pressure pump inside the gas tank?

yes

ad idea replacing in pair as the y both do fail

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will this save on labor ?

to I mean the low and module together sine you have to tajke one apart to get to the other anyway. yes specs are 6 bar which equates to 87 pounds. are they saying you need high pressure pump or both?

the control module is right on top of low pressure pump. I'm sorry I assumed the voltage would be checked prior to replacing.

the high pressure system is 120 bar about 20 times higher than low side. low side should be in specs b4 the high side should be considered

tell your shop that they can call vw usa and they will help in diagnosis for free

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My notes from 950 am are all that I have. The test results are listed there. Can you confirm If test results support the part they are telling me to replace ?

the specs you provided are for the low side so now the low side needs to be correct its not. the low side when the pressure is actually low needs to be checked for abattery voltage when it acts up. if pressure is good its a moot test. so car ahs to be misb ehaving

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had the battery checked yesterday before this test.

when pressure is low on low side then pump needs to be checked for proper voltage at that time

battery voltage a has to be present at pump

I'm sorry perhaps I should hve recommended a phone call....but the same voltage at battery needs to be at pump or it wont work right...make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
once pressure is low on the low pressure pump, you also have to see if the battery voltage is low on pump at same time.If volts are at pump ... what does that mean ?If no volts at pump, what does this mean ?

battery system voltage at pump replace if pressure for low side is low below 55. if battery voltage not available at pump find wiring/electrical problem...doubtful the second scenario is it. but in diagnostics nothing can be ruled out

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
They said there was voltage to pump so hopefully this fixes peoblem. Thanks again
they said low pressure pump was bad
If u stiil have car 5 years from now change pump and module together as unit lol
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Charging $600 to repair. They tested module by replacing it with another module and got the same read outs. And VW has a pending recall on the module so if that breaks in future I'll try and get them to fix it I suppose.

ok sure

yes when the recall comes out go there and get that

so they going to get it today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thursday says they are booked tomorrow. I’m in ATL and can use uber.

k. let me know how it goes ill be here

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Low fuel pressure pump was replaced. Picked car up Thurs. Don't think I drove friday. Drove around all day today and it stalled again a couple of times. It always seems to happen at low speeds/gears or when car is in neutral. 2-3 stalls today. Battery light comes on most/every time.

y​es if engine stalls light coming on normal. Is the engine light on yellow one?

when running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Engine light never comes on. Just battery light after stall. It doesn’t jerk or anything, just dies (thankfuly) at low speeds of 5 mph or less

hmm what was it doing b4?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Exact same thing. This started last Sunday. Took car on Monday. Picked up Thursday. Happened again today (1st day of driving except home from shop)

s​o it never stall on highway at cruise speeds etc. ? never did? well a few things here is this a different causeof the same problem? or are we still suffering from low fuel pressure or is there a problem with something else. like a dirty throttle plate or a bad idle motor. was tune up performed in vehicles historical past?

w​hen did this problem start and has there been any time in historical past a stalling problem of any nature?

well this for sure that the fuel pressure was low (according to shop) and that b attery voltage and nothing less was available to pump according to shop. so when Monday hits we need to ck the module and the pump and the pressure and voltage avaialbe to the pump and the computer for any codes even though there are no lites yellow on yet. if all else checks o tune up should be performed if not done yet and idle motor and throttle plates checked

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This happened last Sunday. And today.Only previous issue was when fuel pump and module replaced in 2013.Then in Feb 2017 it wouldn’t start ( pressing pedal wouldn’t give it gas) for about 2 hours. No codes were available this time either.Will go back on Monday and do these tests

w​hether itg can remain running depends on what the problem is. only way to figure out problem is to test... the only way to test is when problem is occurring...if fuel pressure is low is it because we don't actually have battery voltage to the pump for example 8 volts instead of 13 volts? if fuel pressurfe is now good and it stalls and it turns out to be another problem then that will need to be determined thru testing when sympreom manifest itself...make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How many volts should there be to / from that recalled fuel pump module ?

w​as module replaced this time? It may have tested fine at the time... and please answer all my questions there is a reason I ask so please read thru and answer. as I am trying to help. I'm not the one actually working on car so I am relying on what I hear from you and them

I​f battery voltage is 13.7 at a certain time then 13.7 should be at pump and 13.7 should be at module before it enters fuel pump...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I asked shop if I should replace module. They said they tested it and it was fine. But I’m not sure if/when they did test it.I don’t know how many volts were on test. On Monday I typed the exact test results shop gave me in a message to you.

if module fails you will have reduced voltage to pump for example 13.5 at module and only 10 at pump then module is bad like it was b4 in 2013

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Test results are at 941am message on Monday. Just RE read our thread to confirm I sent

and to be fair it may have tested fine sometimes you have to drive for awhile. when you first talk to them ask how long did you test drive? how long did u drive till ittacted up yet again?

so mileage? tune up ever performed? ever had this problem or similar beside 2013?

well one thing I learned never assume cause when u assume u make an ass out of u and me ass u me get it? well anways we just don't know we don't even know for sure its the same reason for the same symptom....so we need to do the testing again. so if pressure was good after they put in pump is it still good...that is question

that is what needs to be determined and if not why not?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is diagnostic report from LAST week 3-12-18. Dropped car off today for re-test.

"s​uspect fuel pump"..yes battery voltage at battery should match voltage at pump. that is way to confirm not merely suspect. comparsisons should be made at module and pump if module is lower then replace module . if not enough voltage directly at pump then its not a pump but a power supply issue. if battery voltage at pump replace defective pump

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What would cause power supply issue besides module?What should idle RPM be at ? When I crank it’s over 1000, closer to 1200.Then after it runs it’s lower at 800.

W​HEN ENGINE IS COLD IDLE IS DESIGNED TO RUN AT A HIGHER RPM..WHEN IT WARMS THEN IT IS DESIGNED TO IDLE LOWER. fIRST IT NEEDS TO BE DETERMINED IF PROPER VOLTAGE IS PRESENT..LETS NOT GO THERE TILL NECESSARY IF NECESSARY AS IT CAN BE INVOLVED...ITS RARE...AS I SAID THE TESTING NEEDS TO BE PERFORM ED AGAIN. I ASSUME IT WAS DONE PEOPERLY THE FIRST TIEME . I JUST WONDER WHY LANGUAGE LIKE SUSPECT WAS USED AS OPPOSED TO CONFIRMED

I WAS TOLD THAT THE LOW PRESSURE PUMP WAS BELOW SPECS.I EXPLAINED HOW TO PROPERLY TEST

HAVE YOU TAKEN IT BACK TO THE SHOP?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
back at shop. Will let you know diagnostic results once received
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again for your help

NO PROBLEM..THATS WHAT iM HERE FOR...I KNOW IT MUST BE FRUSTRATING A BIT

BY THE WAY DONT TELL THEM ABOUT OUR CONVERSAATION TILL I PROMPT U TO DO SO WE DONT WANT THEM TO FEEL WE ARE SECOND GUESSING THEM AND WE DONT WANT TO ASSUME ANYTHING. AS ALWAYS IT GOOD TO GATHER ALL FACTS B4 MAKING CONCLUSIONS

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I haven’t. I like to keep an ace up my sleeve :)

ALSO THEY MAY NEED TO DRIVE AROUND WITH YOUR CAN HOOKED UP WITH TEST EQUIPMENT HOOKED UP AND T HEN TEST IT WHERE IT FAILS...SO MAY TAKE TIME DEPENDING ON HOW OFTEN SYPTOM MANIFESTS ITSELF

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Saying code code for fuel relay ? Does this make sense ? I don’t have diagnostic report

a​sk them is fuel pressure still low? wasnt that the reason you said it was stalling and let me know what they say

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
First they called and said they tested it multiple times. No error codes. Fuel pressure was good. Told me to pick up car.Then they called back 11 min later and said they were getting mileage off car to close ticket and they did one more test and got a fuel relay code
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just spoke to them again. Now they think it’s the f**king module.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why did I buy a fuel pump a week ago ?

So if module bad why di they not find it then...see I'm not there monitoring them ...it should be no labor since you have to remove it anyway to replace pump. you can tell them I said that...Also they think? tell them to find out put a mechanic on it that can diagnose it who suspects and thinks and tell you whats wrong.....that's up to you how much you want to say but should be no extra labor

who doesn't merely suspect and thnk so lol

replacing them n pairs not a bad diea as you did 5 years ago its time but...they should be able to take voltage measurements

by taking measurements you can avoid suspect and think and replace with confirmed

but b4 you jump down their throats...it does have to act up which means they may have to drive it...ask has it acted up for you

in other words if its running good not stalling then readings will be probably be good ask what is fuel pressure? and then ask what are voltage readings if fuel pressure low

if module is bad it will be bad as it will limit current flow so lower voltage...so pump cant work as well its like trying tostart your car with a weak battery good analogy

if they measured only at the module and it read 13 volts but didn't even read 10 volts then they didn't check the pump properly the module sits right atop the pump so I could see someone making that mistake...the module when they fail in the scenarios I have run across limt cuuent flow because of excessive resistance..and as you remember your last one was toast,,,tell them to compare and contrast voltage readings at pump and at module if reading is low at pump but not at module then module is bad if that's what they suspect then that's what results they should have

that's didn't even read 10 volts at pump correction

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I gave them diagnostic printout you gave me and they basically said we wouldn’t test module like that.I went in originally and gave them recall info for module. Before changing pump i asked if I should also change module. I was told no.Today, I said I suspected module. I was assured this wasn’t broken this morning. Now this afternoon, it’s the module. I could have never changed low pressure pump and been in same spot I am now but with 700 dollars.I have a buddy that will run your test in his day off.

last time pump burnt up your module that s probably what happened again

BUT CONFIRM IT THIS TIME CUASE NOW THEY KNOW HOW

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No these people said they would not do the test procedure you gave me, so I’m gonna get the diagnostic report from them for today and ask for manager or supervisors info.

sounds a little arrogant...but I was afraid of that

so​ you should ask how did they conclude or in their case assume it was bad? now I'm getting bad but I think I'm right in saying what I'm saying if all they can do is guess....unbelievable

eric remington
eric remington
eric remington