Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I drive a 2013 chev Silverado heard a loud pop on the

I drive a 2013...

I drive a 2013 chev Silverado heard a loud pop on the highway it’s coming from the rear end.. now there is a loud bang every time I go into reverse and forward.. and shutters and now I can’t even place it in gear or park could you tell me what’s going on?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

5 years old I only have 100 km on the truck

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I’m bringing it into the garage on tuesday

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No sounds like I broke something

3/11/2018
Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** I will do all I can to help. Does the noise sounds like it's coming from the rear end or does it sound like it's coming from the transmission ? you might need to lay beside it and get someone in it to put it in reverse and drive and see if the drive shaft is turning. If the drive shaft is turning the transmission might be okay and it's in the differential
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah the sound is coming from the back and the tires looked like they were locking up

Alright, is it 2wd or 4wd?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2wd and 4wd

Alright, it does this is both 2wd and 4wd settings?

in both

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Didn’t try putting it in 4wd won’t even go into gear or park

is there something physically jammed up in the linkage? the linkage is free underneath at the transmission correct? if you turn it off, can you move the shifter through it's full range?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That may be the case I am not at my truck it did shift fine until I put it reverese and forward a couple times to see where the sound was coming from then it just crapped out

I understand. make sure the driveshaft is in one piece, could be U joint. Could be in the transfer case as well. I doubt it's in the rear end, but it's possible could be in the spider gears. If it does it in 2wd and 4wd it's probably not the transfer case, I believe it's either in the transmission itself or the rear differential if the driveshaft itself is ok.

Make sure the transmission is full of fluid.

Were you able to narrow it down any? Look up near the radiator make sure you don't see any transmission fluid leaks.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yup I got her on the lift yesterday busted drive shaft and U joint tranny is fine thank god
Sweet. Let us know if you have any further questions. Thank you.
If you're all set please don't forget to write the question via one of the star icons at the top of the page if you need to ask us anything else just let us know thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
For sure thanks for all the help. Things seem to break at the worst possible times like 7pm on Sunday lol on Christmas Day this year My steering line rusted out on my work truck draining all my power steering fluid I was deep in the bush it was a fun ride out lol felt like I was doing a work out
I'm sure of that. Put a good quality Spicer or TRW or GM Ujoint back in it. Don't go duralast, or masterpro. No China parts on that particular item in my opinion.
Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Edward
Edward
Edward, Service Technician