Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have codes being thrown for a large and a small EVAP

emissions leak and it's not...
I have codes being thrown for a large and a small EVAP emissions leak and it's not a gas cap how can i go about tracing the source of the codes?
08 Saab 93 Aero sportcombi v6 2.8l
3/11/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

The only accurate way to find the leak is with a smoke machine. Now some parts stores loan/rent out tools, so you can check with them first before going to a shop.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a reasonable bit of mechanical ability, hubs axles suspension that type of stuff havent had any experience with a smoke machin is using a smoke machine exceptionally difficult?

Very easy, you just attach it to the plug under the hood to the EVAP system and turn on the smoke, then check the whole system visually where smoke is escaping from. From the top of the fuel tank to the purge valve under the hood and the whole vapor line from front to rear of the car.

Thanks again, and please remember to rate me 5 stars now and keep our link in case you need me again after the rating.

I don't get credit for helping you until you rate me:)'

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do you happen to have a diagram of where id hook it up too?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also would it be reasonable to assume it's my purge valve?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
At 150k miles on original

No, it's NOT reasonable to assume anything, the leak can be anywhere, so please don't start throwing a bunch of parts at it. That can get very costly, there is no common place for a leak to occur. I'll check for a diagram, but you should see a green cap on a fitting under the hood, that's where the smoke machine gets attached to.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me now. I'm still here for followup questions too.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Awesome thank you I totally was just gonna start there and work back with new. Smoke machine it is.

See attached diagram I sent you.

Thanks again, Ron

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I need to use a diagnostic tool along with the smoke machine? Or was this strictly for the access point reference

No, just the smoker for now.

Thanks

Not at my computer any more. Just access point for now.

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor