Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Discovery sport, cant start it keeps saying gear shifter not…

Customer Question
Discovery sport, cant start...

Discovery sport, cant start it keeps saying gear shifter not in park

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

2016 just bought it used. whats the brake switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Discovery Sport yourself? What have you tried so far?

Not fixing it myself. just want to know if i need to take it in.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
Auto Mechanic: Steve, Automotive Expert replied 4 months ago
Steve
Steve, Automotive Expert

hello and welcome

have you tried anything yet over than just normal starting?

no i was trying to put it in neutral but the shifter is flush with the console

the vehicle is designed to inhibit start if it is not receiving a proper signal that it is in P or N.

unfortunately it sounds like there is a fault with the shifter itself or the transmission position switch which is preventing it from sending this signal

you can try unhooking the vehicle battery for an hour to reboot all system, but this is very low probability to help, and since you are still in warranty, I would have it fixed by land rover themself

If you need more help please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, please consider rating me as 5 STAR!! It is much appreciated. You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question after you rate if needed - rating will not close out your question. Please do not forget to leave a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for my time and answer, thank you.