Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Second opinion] should you replace air mass sensor on 97…

Second opinion] should you replace...
Second opinion] should you replace air mass sensor on 97 chev blazer after 200000 mi
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/11/2018
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hello, my name is ***** ***** to Just Answer! I will be assisting you with your questions today. Give me one moment while I review this.

Only if it's bad, there's no reason to replace a good part with another good part.These can also be cleaned with MAF cleaner when they get dirty. Would you get a heart transplant when you turn 60? :)

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Did you have any more questions for me at this time?

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
2005 blazer with 100k mi
Like to switch to Mobil synthetic oil extended 15000mi oil but I heard u should not do that if vehicle had oil chugs every 3000 mi since new
Is that true?

Yes, I believe that as well.

Thanks again, Ron

Need to run codes on air mass sensor then i will get back to u.

Okay, no problem.

Thanks again,Ron

Moose requested I get the codes off the 97 blazer which I just did to fully analyze the the air mass sensor.Codes are pPO420, which relates to the O2 sensors, and P0102 which relates to the mass air sensor. The O2 sensors were replaced 6mo. ago and should be good but that code could also indicate a worn catylitic converter. I cleaned the MAF with the right cleaner and will make sure that is done at every oil change in the future. Vehicle starts a little easier but not without ether. When the engine is up to temperature I disconnect the MAF electrical lead and the engine keeps running. I think its supposed to stop if the MAF is good. Could u clarify. Also I am getting low fuel pressure at the intake manifold. I have been told that could be a sign of a faulty reading from the MAF. Fuel pump works as I can hear it click on and off, but do fuel pumps wear out slowly and lose pressure or all at once like a light bulb burning out? 200k on this one and Id rather replace it in the garage than on the road. Last item, 4wheeling in heavy brush has set the air bag light on from impact on the front bumper. Air bag is fine and never deployed, but is there a way to reset the sensor so the dash light goes off?
Both Ron and Moose are excellent, the only reason I got switched is your website would not take my visa number and I had to call corporate and that may be what got me rerouted.

Thank you sir,

I prefer answers by email. I have a lot of decisions to make on 97 and 05 blazer. And I'm usually driving one of them which makes it tough to talk
I'm happy to pay for service.

No problem, I'm here for you when you need me.

Thanks

Can I get answers to today's questions?

I didnt see any questions about MAF sensors here and im not at work now,

Be back early a.m. for a couple hours.

Thanks

Did u see my question on MAS, fuel pump, and codes Moose requested from yesterday?
Did u see my questions?

No, you can't go back and forth with 2 different experts, you must stay with one only.

No I'm totally happy working with you. I was just saying the only reason I got switched was when I called corporate to get website to take my visa card. Moose is excellent also.
I cleaned the sensor as u suggested with MAS cleaner and will make certain that is done at every oil change. It starts a little easier now but not without ether when it is cold. When the engine is up to temp I disconnect the MAS sensor and the engine keeps running which could be a sign of a bad sensor. Also I am getting low fuel pressure at the intake manifold which could
be a sign of a bad reading from the MAS.The fuel pump works as I can hear it click on when I turn the key. Do fuel pumps wear out slowly and lose pressure or all at once like a lightbulb burning out? 200k on this one and I'd rather replace it in a garage than on the road. I ran the codes and they are PO420 which relates to the O2 sensors and PO102 which relates to the mass air sensor. Replaced all four o2 sensors 6 months ago and they should be good, but that code could also indicate a worn catylitic converter. Could u clarify?
4wd in heavy brush has set the air bag light on but never deployed the bag.Is there a way to reset the sensor so the dash light goes off?

Fuel pumps fail in a variety of ways, that is one way. P0420 points at a bad CAT as long as the O2's are good and OEM.

That MAF can be mis-reading too.

I don't do air bags, sorry

I assume u mean the fuel pump could be failing slowly by losing pressure. Cat is a seperate issue that that is quite possible with 200k miles that I'll address when I get the fuel pressure up.

Yep, the pump can get wear on the armature causing to to slow down, or it can totally fail electrically and stop all together.

Thanks, Ron