Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 1992 Isuzu Amigo 2 wd 2.6l. After engine gets up to…

I have a 1992...

I have a 1992 Isuzu Amigo 2 wd 2.6l. After engine gets up to operating temperature motor will sputter and die then truck won't restart until time has passed and engine cools down.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?

Coolant level full. 135,000 miles

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Amigo yourself? What have you tried so far?

Self and machanic have worked on. New inline fuel pump, egr, fuel filter, plugs wires done 2 years age

3/11/2018
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

When engine stalls did you check for missing spark ,Fuel pressure ,vacuum leaks .

Here are a few typical issue to cause this problem .

When engine gets hot the fuel air ratio is out, too much air or too much fuel .

typical problem for this is the coolant temp sensor.

Coil failure when hot .when cools off starts to work again ,this goes for the fuel pump also.

EGR failure ,with this older car i would just blank it off ,but check your state laws first .

ECU connector issue where the pull lever has failed and can not give a tight connection so when gets hot the terminal

pin connectors fail .do a pull test on all electrical connectors ,i like to remove and replace makes a better connection .

Old cars have a lot of issue with connection so pay attention to this .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg

Greg
Greg, Technician
Greg,I am not a mechanic, nor do I have the tools required to check for missing spark, fuel pressure, etc. Unfortunately, truck never breaks down with a mechanic nearby. The stalling and dying has been going on for many many months and caused a lot of headaches. I recently replaced the crankshaft pulley and seal. I am thinking that replacing the crankshaft pulley sensor might be a good idea since there were already issues "down there". I am also replacing the coolant fan sensor, and the ignition control module. Points plugs and distributor replaced 2 years ago. Multiple vacuum leaks discovered and corrected over the last 2 years. Cannot locate any more at this time. Timing belt and water pump replaced last summer. New EGR installed around a month ago. I am thinking that if the things I am replacing this time around don't correct the issue I will examing the possibilities with the ECU.

Okay good and keep me posted ,this question will be open for you .

Greg