Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I rebuilt my '91 b2200 and it is cranking over but not

Customer Question
I rebuilt my '91...

I rebuilt my '91 b2200 and it is cranking over but not starting. Timing has been double checked and timing belt , crank and cam marks etc. Firing order double-triple checked, and rotation direction verified. Fuel is being delivered to filter...

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?

New belt

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your B2200 yourself? What have you tried so far?

The original problem was a burnt vavle, ran ok other wise. Decided to totally rebuild.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I am working alone, and my ignition switch was bad for a year, I have been bridging the starter contacts with a screwdriver and still am now.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Car
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
edit* - the screwdriver method is still my current way to engage starter (and is convenient as I am going at this solo).
Timing belt has only been replaced as a preventative measure ( came with rebuild kit).
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Piston #1 is tdc ( compression).. mark on crank pulley matches tdc, cam and timing belt are lined up... distributor is understood as clockwise rotation, and button is lined up (after gear offset travel) with the #1 plug wire. firing order is understood as 1342, and wires/plugs are arranged accordingly.
3/11/2018
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago
eric remington

CK FOR SPARK FUEL PRESSURE AIR ENTERING ENGINE RECHECK VAVE TIMING..

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No spark at plugs or the central coil wire. Have a multimeter but do not know what numbers Im looking for.
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

ok does the coil get power? if so, both sides of coil should lite up test lite or have 12 volts? how are you testing electrical circuit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lost my test light, so was checking by holding coil wire on vavle cover bolt with key set to "on". Also while turning over starter. On the coil (pos&neg) -Getting 0.1 ohms at the 20k setting.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should've checked for power at electric plug going to coil, going to do that now.
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

o​k get another test lite and ck for power at both sides of coil nice and bright...neg .side should blink while cranking

Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

if pos and neg side lite up but neg side does not blink, while cranking, we will need to perform testing to primary side of electrical circuit/ignition system. you will need a test lite to ck fuses as needed. some people actually think it ok to just look at them ohm them out etc...NO

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, I have found that test light. I am showing power being supplied to pos side of coil with ign key on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That was on the plug that feeds the coil, but coil itself may be bad bc it sat in the weather for months?
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

o​k do you have power to neg side?.......if so crank engine and see if tst lite flashes....does it?

Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago

hello do you still require assistance if not please ratem e as that is how I am compensated. If you still need hlep I am here to help so ask away

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry about that delay, Mr. Remington. I went ahead and replaced the coil (unnessecarily), but at least it looks nice heh. I wasnt able to set up the test light securely while crankin it at the starter. ... Anyway, i guess i have a wiring/ground problem somewhere?
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago
That is an important test in diagnosing ur no start issue. Find someone to crank engine over, make sure pos side of coil listed up, and see if neg side listed up and flashes or just stays lit...important as it is important step in diagnostics process
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago
That's lights up
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago
Not listed up dang spell checkers?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hehe i figured thats what u meant. Yeah, i'll arrange some help so i can check that correctly. I'll get back to u soon. I can go ahead and rate if u need? Not sure if that disconnects us or not. Never tried this program before.
Auto Mechanic: eric remington,
 replied 1 month ago
U can if u like but no, i stick with u till problem found
eric remington
eric remington
eric remington