Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a check engine light on on my 2012 genesis coupe

Hi i have a...

Hi i have a check engine light on on my 2012 genesis coupe 2.0t

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on P2261 is the code

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Genesis Coupe yourself? What have you tried so far?

No i am trying to know whats the problem and how bad is it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

P2261 is the code thats it

3/11/2018
tech0405
tech0405, Technician

Good afternoon this is related to a faulty turbo charger bypass valve i recommend you have this valve checked as soon as possible incase it gets worst and causes more issues usually you will just need to replace the valve. i have attached a picture of the valve location i hope this helps please dont forget to provide feedback for the help provided thank you

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
how much is gonna cost if it needs replacing? and are you sure that turbo charger bypass valve is the issue or can it be something else
Thank you so much again

You need to verify you have no boost leaks if the vehicle has no boost leaks and drives normal more then likely you have a valve issue very common for this model . This valve usually cost about $126 and labor is about $75 at a repair shop . i hope this helps please dont forget to provide feedback for the help provided tank you

tech0405
tech0405, Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
if there is boost leaks then is it a big problem?

No you will just ned to repair the leak , check the turbo hoses for leaks

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
it will be a 250$ max job no need to replace the entire turbo correct?

Does the vehicle have low boost ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
no it is running fine i just got the car so i am not sure but its accelaration is good enough for 210hp

ok then if it feels good then the turbo is not bad because you have boost

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok then most probably it is turbo charger bypass valve right
Thank you so much for your answers i will leave you awesome feedback
That is correct
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
does turbo bypass valve, solenoid and waste gate actuator come with the whole turbo setup or they need to be bought separately the dealer told that he will replace the turbo for me so i was confused whether i should buy bypass valve, solenoid and waste gate actuator or they come with turbo as a whole setupThanks

Is the turbo bad?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
i showed it to a mechanic he told that he is hearing some bearing noises from the turbo and it will go bad soon

Ok if you have noise then yes its bad , the solenoid usually will not come with a new turbo

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
solenoid is turbo bypass valve?

correct a,m logging off for the night

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you so much good night
Welcome
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
what needs to be changed if the whole turbo is being replaced?
Turbo, solenoid(tubo bypass valve) and what else

If the technician has stated the turbo is noisy i would start by replacing the turbo assembly and not the solenoid yet

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

welcome

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The mechanic said replace waste gate solenoid and valve so valve, is it blow off valve or is there any another valve i should know off earlier you mentioned about turbocharger bypass valve they are the same or different and i got the waste gate solenoid and if the valve is blow off valve i read in the forums that FORGE MOTORSPORTS BLOW OFF VALVE is long lasting and better than the stock one.Thanks
Have the mechanic check the items he’s the one looking st the vehicle I can only give suggestions on what I have seen fail since he has the car there he can physically check the items
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thank you so much just wanted to know if blow off valve and bypass valve are same or different
Same they also call it a turbo recirculation valve
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok cool thanks again
Welcome
tech0405
tech0405
tech0405, Technician