Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My son just called and his S60 broke down near El Centro CA.

My son just called...

My son just called and his S60 broke down near El Centro CA. He has called AAA to get him off the road but there are no repair shops open near by. He said his check engine light came on, followed by the oil light, then the engine died, fortunately he was able to get to a safe hard shoulder to call AAA and wait. Not sure on what to advise him to do from here?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your S60?

2008

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your S60 yourself? What have you tried so far?

No, he is on the road, he has just called AAA

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Last oil change was in December about 5000 miles ago

3/10/2018
Gary
Gary, Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

he is limited with no tools ect for right now

is the engine oil full ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It should be, but then why would the oil light come on after the check engine light ?
He does not have tools, but the AAA assistance should be there in due course

usually when the engine is off with the key ON the oil light would be on due to the normal bulb being on due to no oil pressure because the engine is off

can they check and see if the oil is full in the engine ?

and also will the engine physically crank over and not fire up ?

or will it NOT physically crank over ?

if you have any questions please ask

please do not forget to rate me here at Justanswer

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
AAA just showed up on site, waiting to hear back. Have asked my son to verify that there is oil in the engine. There is no sign of oil around the car

ok let me know what it does and does not due and i will do my best for you

if you have any questions please ask

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The engine would start but would not respond to the accelerator. It made a rattling noise

is the oil full ?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He is planning to have AAA tow to San Diego

either the engine oil is low or the engine lost oil pressure and the rattling noise could be a broken part inside the engine

at this point this is what we know and from what i am hearing

any shop will know in 1/2 what exactly is the issue or failed part

if you have any questions please ask

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thanks

anytime

if you have any questions please ask

if you have any questions please ask

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not enough oil in engine, what type of oil should he add ?

5W30 is fine

fill it up and see if it runs and gets quiet

if you have any questions please ask

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Filling now and will try it, thanka

let me know

if you have any questions please ask

Gary
Gary, Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, Technician