Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Removed all 6 spark plugs from my 2003 ford escape.

Customer Question
Second opinion] Removed all...

Second opinion] Removed all 6 spark plugs from my 2003 ford escape. Installed one new plug but the others do not seem to catch the threads. I had no problems getting them out and installed the first by hand. Any suggestions. I had sprayed the plugs with wd40 prior to extracting.

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? When was the last time the plugs were changed?

210 thousand. I did replace upper and lower intake gaskets

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes by my self. I figured since it is a second car I would try to save the $1,250.00 repair estimate Had it diagnosed because it was loosing power and it suggested it was vacuum problem with the air intake manifold.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Upper and lower gasket replacement went well as did the PCV valve replacement though difficult. Now I am facing a problem that I can not install the new plugs. I an doing it by hand so as not to strip threads but I was only able to get two plugs to catch. The others just seem to be turning but not catching.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Car
3/11/2018
Auto Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 1 month ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Have you compared the plug threads from the removed ones to the new ones?

What brand plugs are you using?

Did you blow out the plug holes prior to removing the plugs to remove any debris that may be in the plug holes?

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my response. If any part of my response is unclear, please let me know. It’s my goal to deliver excellent service, so if I've done that, please don't forget to give me a 5-star rating.You can still reply. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician