Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I was test driving a 2008 Outlook 3.6 VVT XR AWD IT makes a…

I was test driving...

I was test driving a 2008 Outlook 3.6 VVT XR AWD IT makes a loud whining (high pitch) as you accelerate it gets quieter, once the engine speed drops to 1000rpm it gets louder.

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?

It's 2008 with 120k mi.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Outlook yourself? What have you tried so far?

I haven't bought it yet, I'm thinking it could be the power steering, alternator, ac, or a pulley or tensioner.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all

Answered in 1 hour by:
3/10/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
It's fairly common for the power steering pump to do this what you need to do is get a mechanic's stethoscope or get a very long screwdriver and touch it to the different accessories and then use the handle of a screwdriver to push the flap on your ear closed and hold your ear against the screwdriver and you can use that like a stethoscope to isolate the noise.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to accept next to my name is ***** ***** the only way the site will compensate me for my time. So please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions, you can continue to ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, I can't say you answered my question, you more less reiterated what I said. I was looking for something more definitive, as I did not have possession of the vehicle. That being said I wound up picking up a 2006 Vue Red line w/90k mi. On it I'm sure I will have some issue or question in the near future, and maybe you could answer that w/o me having to waste another $25. TIA!
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician