Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Craig looking for some help just changed oil in 2015 Hyundai…

Hi there Craig looking...

Hi there Craig looking for some help just changed oil in 2015 Hyundai velocity turbo and oil light won't go out is there any troubles ???

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

Oil pressure light red oil can lmage

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?

Only doing a 30000 km service oil and filter

3/10/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
First of all I would completely ignore the fact that they recommend 30000 km oil changes and do synthetic oil changes every 7,000 miles.All of the car brands that are doing these extended oil changes are having crazy problems with loss of oil pressure, timing chain guide failure, and leaking rear main seals.These intervals are basically only meant to get the vehicle to a hundred thousand miles.Assuming that you used the correct weight of oil I think you need to do an oil pressure test, and depending on the results of that you might need to pull the oil pan and clean the oil pump pickup.Vehicles doing extended oil changes like this are having problems clogging the oil pump pickup with sludge, especially on a turbocharged vehicle which builds an excessive amount of heat in the turbo. Then the oil cokes up and starts looking like something burned in a frying pan.Remove the oil pressure sensor and install a pressure gauge start the vehicle cold and preserve the oil pressure which should be above 25 or 30 PSI or two to three bar at idle and above 50 or 60 PSI at 2000 RPM with the vehicle up to full operating temperature. Is the pressures are less than that then you need to pull the oil pan and clean out the oil pump pickup.Is the oil pressure just ends up being fine then replace the oil pressure sensor.I highly suspect that the pickup is actually clogged it's very common for this to happen right after an oil change when all the debris is brought down into the oil pan as you drain the oil. So generally if the oil pressure light happens after an oil change in your using the correct weight and means the pickup was actually clogged.If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to accept next to my name is ***** ***** the only way the site will compensate me for my time. So please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions, you can continue to ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
Okay so I just saw your other post that showed that you actually did do an oil pressure testing your lagging oil pressure as I suspected.You need to pull the oil pan and replace or clean the oil pump pickup. What I typically do is remove the pan remove and clean the pickup if you can buy a new pickup separate from the oil pump do so, you may want to actually just replace the pump, then just both oil pan up into place without actually ceiling it and put a drip pan underneath and run an oil system flush then pull the pan back off clean the pickup again seal the pan and put it back together.
If I've answered your question your satisfaction please remember to accept next to my name is ***** ***** the only way the site will compensate me for my time. So please don't hesitate to ask if you have any further questions, you can continue to ask follow-up questions even after hitting accept.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi there Danny thanks for your time just a couple more things I checked the car log book it has been serviced every 6 months by a dealer , your suggestion about the oil pick up is it a very common problem , one more thing I put 3.5 litres of the right grade oil in after the no oil pressure trouble I read the manual and it said the turbo engine runs 4.5 litres so I add the axtra but had no change
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hey Danny I can’t see where to accept near your name can u show me thanks craig
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Danny I removed oil pan this morning the oil pick up and inside the oil pan are very clean no contamination do u have any more suggestions thanks Craig
You didn't happen to save the oil did you? You need to look and see if there's metal shavings in it the only real possibilities for a lack of oil pressure besides the pickup being clogged now would be that there's mechanical damage to the engine that has increased the bearing clearances to the point where oil pressure can't build, and also a failing oil pump so if you didn't find a bunch of metal in the oil I will go ahead and change the oil pump out.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Danny no metal in sump very clean what make a oil pump fail after changing oil pump
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Correction on last post changing the oil thanks Craig
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician