Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My daughter has a Wrangler JK 2007. Several weeks ago I

Hi, My daughter has a...
Hi, My daughter has a Wrangler JK 2007. Several weeks ago I bought her some aftermarket LED headlights with "halo" driving lights. Installed myself. Worked fine for a while but now headlight are not working. Nothing.
She said that only the "orange" lights come on. Not sure if she means the turn signal or the side marker lights or if she means the yellow Halo that blinks with the turn indicator.
She is in neighboring town. I'm going tomorrow to give it a look. Any suggestions for troubleshooting?
3/10/2018
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Being that cheese probably very tech-savvy why don't you have her shoot a video of what's going on uploaded to YouTube or at least send it to you so you can upload it and I can take a look. It's going to be much easier if I can get some initial info on it before you get out there so you can go with the correct tools to diagnose the job.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Problem solved. Fairly simple, actually. Daughter gave some important information: she had been able to make the lights flicker back on by thumping the headlights. So I knew it was something loose very close to the lamps.It seems that probably the three metal prongs that plug into the car's harness are thinner than the prongs on the OEM wiring. A bit of looseness inside the plastic connector where the after market wiring meets the car's harness. I gave the prongs a bit of curve so they fit snug in the holes. I hope it stays snug.
Good to hear, a bit of advice though if the Aftermarket Wiring Harness is connector is so janky that it fits like that it could very well end up being a source for either corrosion or if it's not a good enough it could cause burning and wiring harness damage so I would possibly just cut the connector off and use heat shrink butt connectors to permanently connect them in.
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician