Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My son is stranded on the way home from spring break. He…

My son is stranded...

My son is stranded on the way home from spring break. He says the car won't go over 5 mph

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Mercedes?

Ml320 2000

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your ML320 yourself? What have you tried so far?

He is about 300 miles away at an AutoZone. They have had the codes scanned

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Sorry for the delays. He's relaying information. They are trying this http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1527323-00-ml320-will-not-accelerate.html

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's all I have

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I don't need a 'fix'. I just want to know if there is a way to bypass this issue so he can get home and we can take it to a mechanic.
3/10/2018
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** codes did they get?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me ask him.

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He stepped away from the car and went into Petco. SMH. He's going back to get it.

ok

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
P0400 and P0758

standby

transmission shift solenoids are failing

have him check the transmission fluid. make sure its full and reddish and doesnt smell burnt

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
gotcha. one sec

p0400, is the EGR valve, removing that and cleaning it out should fix that. it's going to be all gunked up with carbon.

P0758 MERCEDES-BENZ - Shift Solenoid 'B' Electrical Possible causes Low transmission fluid level Dirty transmission fluid Faulty shift solenoid 'B' valve Shift solenoid 'B' valve harness or connectors Shift solenoid 'B' valve circuit is open or shorted The P0758 code is detected when the gear required by the ECM does not match the actual gear when vehicle is driven. Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) Transmission will not shift gears P0758 MERCEDES-BENZ Description Shift solenoid valve 'B' is turned ON or OFF by the Transmission Control Module (TCM) in response to signals sent from the park/neutral position (PNP) switch, vehicle speed and Engine Control Module (ECM) (throttle opening). Gears will then be shifted to the optimum position.

P0400 MERCEDES-BENZ - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction Possible causes Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) volume control valve stuck closed Faulty Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) volume control solenoid valve Faulty EGR Valve Faulty EGR temperature sensor and circuit Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) solenoid valve harness is open or shorted Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) solenoid valve circuit poor electrical connection Dead (Weak) battery What does this mean? Tech notes EGR flow malfunction could be caused by a clogged EGR valve or EGR tube. Before replacing any parts try cleaning the EGR valve, tube and passages. ? Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) flow control is not responding Possible symptoms Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) Possible engine hesitation P0400 MERCEDES-BENZ Description Early Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) systems component s include and EGR Valve, and Engine Control Μodule (ECΜ) Controlled Vacuum Switch Valve or EGR Solenoid and an EGR Vacuum Μodulator. Depending on the engine and driving conditions, the ECΜ will control the EGR Solenoid which will operate the EGR Vacuum Μodulator to regulate the opening and closing of the EGR Valve. The EGR system on recently built vehicles uses a step motor to control the flow rate of EGR from exhaust manifold. This motor has four winding phases. It operates according to the output pulse signal of the ECΜ. Two windings are turned ON and OFF in sequence. Each time an ON pulse is issued, the valve opens or closes, changing the flow rate. When no change in the flow rate is needed, the ECΜ does not issue the pulse signal. Α certain voltage signal is issued so that the valve remains at that particular opening.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The fluids weren't low or smelled burned. What should he do now?

the only other thing he can try is to disconnect both battery cables and short them together for 5 minutes, let them hang loose or 15 minutes and reconnect them. see if that resets everything

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think he tried that but let me ask him. Disconnect the batter for 5 or 15 minutes?

short the terminals together for 5 minutes. then let them hang loose for 15

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry. Are you saying disconnect the battery cables for 5 minutes or 15 minutes?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
do i stay in this chat until they do it or how does this work?

yes. ill leave this open for as long as it takes

was the tranny fluid reddish?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
David, I'm still at work, tired and irritable. My son and his friend are frustrating me so I'm just going to have the vehicle towed and his friend's dad is driving the 3 hours to pick them up. Thank you for your help but I'm done for the night.

ok, good luck and Please note that customer satisfaction is my number one goal and rating this chat session 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated and will allow any follow-up questions you may have. we can chat back and forth many times until your issue is taken care of.
Thank you for rating my assistance and for using Just Answer.

David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

thanks and please let me know if you need more help

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic