Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

The remote is not working, but the car still starts ok is it…

Customer Question
The remote is not...

The remote is not working , but the car still starts ok is it ok to drive can't get any help as service centre not open till Monday , & with the little key in the key card does it only lock & unlock the passenger door.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

I have changed the battery , still not working I wouldn't know if they are corroded but that is possible , does a auto electrican know anything regarding remotes ? the car is 10 years old I have had it bout 5 years I only got the one remote

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Renault?

Megane 2006 convertible

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just replaced the battery , I don't know about it at all (I'm female) here on my own

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
Auto Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 4 months ago
Greg
Greg, Technician

Hi, I'm Greg (Indy-Tech).
Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.
Rgds Greg.

Sadly looks like the remote has failed which is honestly a typical issue for the age .

For your problem you will need to get hooked up to a diagnostic scan tool and check for malfunction codes in the

Immo system, if no malfunction codes you will need to go into live data to check if the system is getting a signal from the remote,if no signal then the remote will have to be reprogrammed or replaced..

If the remote needs reprogramming or replacing you will need a dealer level diagnostic scan tool to program the remote .

or check your local mobile locksmith ,these men are set up with the needed equipment to program or replace your remote .

These card are normally good but time will ware them out ,have a second one made up for safety .

For further assistance with this issue please get back to me with the reply box below .
This is not a one answer and done i will stay with you until the problem is sorted out .
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 3 to 5 stars at the top of your page, i'm not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with you unless you leave positive feedback.
Before rating 1 to 2 stars please get back to me as i'm here to help you, if i can't or you think i can't i will opt out or you can opt me out so another expert can.
I want to help you with your problem and make you a happy motorist
Rgds Greg