Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Screeching noise when turning off engine

....
screeching noise when turning off engine .
3/9/2018
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician

My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question Thanks.The site will prompt a call.I will let you know if it's necessary

How long does the noise continue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Quick second. I just turn it off and it does it and it doesn't always do it and some times its barley audible.

Ok, more then likely this is the drive belt making some noise when the pulley's stop spinning. Since it's just beginning and not consistent, I would attempt to make it consistent. In other words, try it with the a/c on or with the a/c off for example, if you can determine when it happens, you could then remove the belt and see if it still does it. It's not that uncommon for a small chirp type of sound from the belt. Especially if the belt tensioner is getting weak or the belt is damp.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, you do when you rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings. Your question does not close after you rate. You will still be able to contact me by replying to this post.
Thank you so much!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can I ask about another noise?

Sure, I can try to help

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This noise happens on both my Lucerne an DTS. It's a light clicking noise when I'm driving. You can't hear it if your going to fast. However, whenjoy I'm going about 25 to 10 mph. It doesnt cause the car to drive any differently

I would have to say it's possibly the air compressor clutch kicking on and off as you drive. Try turning the Hvac system off completely and see if it's still there. Ordinarily you might not hear this at all, but it is possible. I really can't think of anything else that would affect both vehicles. It is possible that the dust shield on the axle is making the sound where it makes contact on the wheel bearings. If that is the case it has to come apart and be lubed. It won't hurt anything to drive it like that though.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's always off when I listen because I 1st noticed in the warmer weather with the windows down. It's not very loud but you can hear it. I did the breaks on both but have never had a issue like that before.

It is possible one of the clips is moving around or letting the pads shift a bit.

See if the sound stops when you apply the brakes. If it does when you do, then you will know it's brake related. If that's the case I would put some lube on the backing plates of the pads. That usually will eliminate the noise.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Probably right didn't think about it. It does stop when I press the breaks

Ok, that's not something to be super concerned with, but sometimes some lube between the bracket and the anti rattle clip will solve the issue, or some lube on the back of the brake pads themselves will take care of it.

Also, kindly remember to rate my answer.
Thank you so much!!

Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician