Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

With respect to this query. I also am having front vibration…

Hi, with respect to this...
Hi, with respect to this query. I also am having front vibration coming from the front end of my 06 Cayenne S, I plan to replace both sides. I purchased two front knuckles with hub and bearings attached, (it's about as DIY as it gets I know) so that I wouldn't have to go to a shop and I can directly replace the entire area.Can you please help with the torque specs for these jobs, (drawn out if possible) I am confident about the job but need some technical information on the nuts and bolts as it can be very dangerous to under/over torque suspension bolts. I will also be reusing the nuts/bolts, my vehicle has around 114,000 miles. I know Porsche recommends to replace each time but I am in a pinch. Thank you.
3/9/2018
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, my name is*****'ve posted the torque specs below for you.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Marty, sorry for the messy question. My first time here and I thought I was adding on to someone else's inquiry.Anyway, would it be alright to reuse my nuts and bolts for this list you provided? The reason I ask is I'm no where near a Porsche dealer nor do I know the parts numbers if I were to call in or search online. This would be very helpful, otherwise if safe to reuse then disregard. Thank you for your help.

Hi, it will be ok to reuse the nuts. Ideally, you should replace them but we reuse them all the time and have never had a problem.

Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for confirming this, I was able to replace the passenger side without much issue. I will be doing the driver side tomorrow. Enjoy your Sunday!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi again,So I was able to do the driver side too but ran into a small problem potentially. While attempting to pull the cv axle out from the knuckle, I accidentally yanked the other end from out of the transmission. Took me a bit to figure out how to straighten out and push back in. I haven't driven it yet because I need to repair my axle thread since it was completely stuck on and I didn't use the nut to prevent mushrooming. Is the axle seated properly presumably just because I pushed it back and was able to tighten everything back up? Would like a professional answer before I drive it again. Thank you.

The inner end of the axle shaft should be bolted to the output flange of the differential. What popped apart? Did the flange come out of the differential or did the axle shaft pull out of the boot?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for your prompt response, it was the inner end of the axle which goes into the transmission? Please refer to the photo I found online, that part came out when I pulled out the knuckle because the axle was seized on so badly. I just pushed it back in, normally people say you need to hear a click or the sort I just pushed back in and reassembled the knuckle. Just making sure the splines are seated properly but it is back in securely.A side question I forgot to ask is when I was cleaning the area, i accidentally sprayed the abs line connected to the electrical system and now obviously have the abs light on. Can I just replace the one connector I sprayed or do I have to replace the entire wiring. The replacement knuckle did come with cut wires that I could splice if I can get away with just the connector being replaced. (or is the wire fried?) The whole idea of this project was to save money not spend, lol.(my wife came and I was distracted, I had just gotten out the axle and was excited I sprayed the wrong end) Thank you.

On the end of that splined shaft is a circlip. It should snap into the differential and stay there. If you can easily slide the shaft out of the differential it means that the circlip is not snapped in place.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Marty for all your help, have a great day!

You're quite welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi again Marty,Sorry to keep disturbing you. I finally was able to complete the driver side and took it for a test drive, the noise has gone and i can hear that beautiful V8 again. The only issue I had was there was some vibration in the steering wheel. It was around 35-40 MPH road, did I get something wrong while tightening everything back up? Thank you for your time.

You should at least inspect your work and make sure everything is tight. My biggest concern would be the axle shaft that popped out of the differential. If the shaft isn't seated properly it could give you a vibration. My next thought would be to check the wheel balance.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry, I did not see your response thank you for it being prompt)That makes great sense and yes I should thoroughly inspect my work again before I drive it regularly again. When I was reassembling the driver side knuckle today I pushed and pulled the axle shaft at the boot and it did wiggle a little. I went to the passenger side and it did not move at all. I assumed that it was because the weight of the vehicle was not it the driver and it would snug when i put down the vehicle. Are there other things per this job that would cause a vibration, I think you nailed it but just want to cover everything. Thanks very much.

I'd mainly be looking at the axle installation and wheel balance.

Let me know how you make out.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I actually drove it to the grocery store just now and the vibration seems to have gone away. I think you were right though about it maybe not being properly in. Not sure if it's possible for few bumps to help nudge it in place but that's what it seems to have done. Got it up to 80 MPH and smooth as a mag train. Have a great night!

Excellent! Glad to hear it's doing well.

Marty
Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician