Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

When you have a car diagnose how can you tell the difference…

When you have a car...
When you have a car diagnose how can you tell the difference between a sensor and perhaps the car part? My neighbor used a diagnostic tool. He says that the mass airflow showed up as the problem. So, is it just a sensor or is there a part (not a sensor).
3/9/2018
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

The Mass Air Flow sensor is a sensor. But it's a "part" with a sensor built into it. On this vehicle, the MAF Sensor is mounted to the air tube from the air filter housing (for an image view, click here:https://goo.gl/Goxkcr ). Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the air tube for any cracks, holes or loose connections. Inspect the air filter element and make sure it is not excessively dirty, limiting air flow. If these all check ok, replace the Mass Air Flow Sensor. To do so, unplug the electrical connector and remove the sensor's mounting bolts. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No more questions on this issue. Thanks and have a great day. I will give a 5-star rating.

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to use the stars at the top of the page to make your rating official! Have a great weekend!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Oh, yes one more question...I know nothing about cars, Can a non-pro replace the MAF?

Absolutely! Not a bad job at all! Definitely a DIY'er job. As I mentioned above- unplug the electrical connector and remove the mounting bolts... and it's out!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -