Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

On 2018 WRX with 4550 miles, have just learned reason for…

On 2018 WRX with...

On 2018 WRX with 4550 miles, have just learned reason for check-engine light appearing is a problem with a cam sprocket. Will be replaced/repaired under warranty, of course, but should I be concerned about potential for other issues developing because of or related to that problem? Any experience with that happening? Thanks!

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

Stayed on, and I brought car to dealer service.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your WRX yourself? What have you tried so far?

No. Subaru dealer service center is fixing it, and cam sprocket problem was their diagnosis.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Other panel lights came on at the same time as check engine -- cruise control (which did blink), light showing vehicle on upward incline, traction control.

3/9/2018
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I understand your issue and concern. The problem that you are having is likely due solely to the gears/action of the sprocket. This sprocket is also used to adjust valve timing. This means that the timing was on point, but the sprocket was not adjusting as it should. Prolonged driving may cause timing issues, or driveability concerns, but since you caught it immediately, you will have nothing to worry about. Also, during this repair the chain and timing components will be inspected, as these are the only components that would be affected by this issue. I also have a TSB that concerns the oil control valve. This will also affect the function of the cam sprocket do to the flow of oil. Here I am attaching the TSB for you to inspect. To answer your question, you do not need to worry about this having an adverse affect on the vehicle.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.

A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed

Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** *****

You are very welcome. Thank you for the rating. Have a great day.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. *****'m told the cam sprocket replacement somehow affected the ECM, such that it must be replaced. Another five days in the shop. I'm now officially not happy with the vehicle and worried about what might be next.
If there was damage done to the ECM, then the issue was electrical or the ecm the whole time. I understand your frustration. Just be sure before you get the car back that the repair is verified.
Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician